Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Pavan Kumar Aravapalli <pa...@accelerite.com> on 2019/06/13 07:16:24 UTC

Reg : qemu-kvm upgrade in KVM hypervisor agent

Hello,

As part of KVM upgrade it's found that default package 'qemu-kvm' [ which comes with  OS distro]  does not support machine chipset type 'q35'.  And this support can be leveraged by installing 'qemu-kvm-ev'  which is from centos-release-qemu-ev repo.

I saw some some old mail threads  saying that they have integrated qemu-kvm-ev, but still in agent bundle rpm requirements [https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/master/packaging/centos7/cloud.spec] I found old 'qemu-kvm' only.

Can we leverage this package qemu-kvm-ev in agent rpm bundle?. Has anyone faced any issues in Cloud Stack after upgrading the package.

~Regards,

Pavan.

DISCLAIMER
==========
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Re: Reg : qemu-kvm upgrade in KVM hypervisor agent

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Pavan,

No need to alter the spec, once you install centos-release-qemu-ev the next "yum update" will update your qemu-kvm without breaking rpm deps.
Please note qemu-kvm-ev has more features, but it is not part of CentOS Base.
It's a community effort and it does not meet the kind of enterprise level of QA you would expect from stock CentOS packages. Expect problems at some point. In fact I remember someone had to downgrade recently because of issues (which I do not recall, it's on the ml).

HTH

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Pavan,

Posted by Ng'ang'a Kioi <ki...@gmail.com>.
Looks like it does

Posted by Ng'ang'a Kioi <ki...@gmail.com>.
Looks like the logic here was designed to solve a different problem

// for KVM, only allow snapshot with memory when VM is in running state
if (userVmVo.getHypervisorType() == HypervisorType.KVM &&
userVmVo.getState() == State.Running && !snapshotMemory) {
    throw new InvalidParameterValueException("KVM VM does not allow to
take a disk-only snapshot when VM is in running state");
}

Should probably be

Posted by Vladimir Melnik <v....@uplink.ua>.

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.