Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2018/04/01 22:11:32 UTC

Re: [DISCUSSION] WICKET-6544 mobile browser detection

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Korbinian Bachl <
korbinian.bachl@whiskyworld.de> wrote:

> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> >> even in 2009 it was considered bad: https://www.sitepoint.com/why-
> >> browser-sniffing-stinks/
> >> and in case that is not enough, read what the guy that invented
> modernizr
> >> has to say:
> >> http://farukat.es/journal/2011/02/499-lest-we-forget-or-
> >> how-i-learned-whats-so-bad-about-browser-sniffing/
> >>

> > I do not trust anyone who says "don't do it this way" but doesn't say how
> > to do it!
> >
> > There are several of "if (isBrowserX()) {...} else {...}" in Wicket JS
> code
> > and they served well for the last decade.
> > Since there are several other *Java* libraries for user agent detection
> > this means that someone still finds them useful despite what other people
> > claim.
>
> unreliable things wont get reliably by pointing into the past and then
> telling that your fater did it the same way....
>
> nowadays you would use feature detection, see:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Tools_and_
> testing/Cross_browser_testing/Feature_detection

Korbinian,

The PR by Maxim is about the User-Agent detection at the *server* side,
i.e. in the *Java* code. It reads the request header and tells you what the
browser is.
The JS feature detection is only client side. You will need Ajax behaviors
to send the ourcome to the server to be able to use it there. Wicket does
this with (Web)ClientInfo related classes.

I'll be VERY glad to see your PR that uses modern ways to redo the current
checks in wicket-ajax.js or in the server code, e.g. Wicket Bootstrap uses
this information to decide whether to render respond.js!
Until then please do not make such bold statements. It is easy to read an
article and say "this is the [new] silver bullet". Until you get your hands
dirty you never know what kind of problems you will face!

> >> btw:
> >> https://github.com/HaraldWalker/user-agent-utils -> this is EOL, guess
> >> why...
> >> https://github.com/pieroxy/java-user-agent-detection/releases -> last
> >> release from september 2017...
> >>

> > Sep 2017 is like yesterday
>
> (all only MAJOR releases!)
>
> 28. September 2017 - Firefox 56
> 14. November 2017 - Firefox 57 Quantum
> 23. Januar 2018 - Firefox 58
> 13. März 2018 - Firefox 59
>
> 2017-09-05 - Chrome 61.0.3163
> 2017-10-17 - Chrome 62.0.3202
> 2017-12-05 - Chrome 63.0.3239
> 2018-01-23 - Chrome 64.0.3282
> 2018-03-06 - Chrome 65.0.3325
>
> and this is just 2 desktop ones! I dont want to talk about the loads of
> updates my android device got in that time (firefox mobile, chrome and
> samsung internet!) - oh, and btw: they still lie about the user agent all
> time.... dont get me wrong, but sep 17 is freaking old in case you need to
> reliably detect the browser!

Yes, and all of them are properly parsed by the same code that has been
used in the last decade!
The browser vendors have no reason to change their syntax of user agent.
Believe me they do know that this piece of information *is being* used in
the wild!

Re: [DISCUSSION] WICKET-6544 mobile browser detection

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
okay no problem - lets set it to deprecated.

+1

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
+1 for deprecating

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSSION] WICKET-6544 mobile browser detection

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 remove it

Martijn

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSSION] WICKET-6544 mobile browser detection

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
:-D

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
bike shed :P

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSSION] WICKET-6544 mobile browser detection

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
+1 for 2) from me

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
Looking for a remote position with Wicket ? Contact me!
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR