Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Ford <A....@ford-mason.co.uk> on 2008/06/08 13:48:48 UTC

MPM and core directive confusion

I have been taking a close look at the MPMs from the perspective of
documenting them for Apache Pocket Reference and also updating the
docs.  There seems to be a number of directives, such as AcceptMutex,
CoreDumpDirectory, etc., that are conditionally included in the
command_rec in core.c depending on definitions in the MPM header file,
so if you do a "httpd -L" you will see them listed as provided by
core.c, as opposed to directives like User and Group, which (on my
default Ubuntu install) appear as provided by prefork.c (as those are
defined in the UNIX_DAEMON_COMMANDS macro, which is used to insert the
entries into the MPM's command_rec).

Should there be a note in the mpm_common documentation?  It does beg the
(philosophical) question of whether such commands are MPM directives or
core directives that are only implemented when compiled with certain
MPMs? or if there is a difference between MPM directives and core
directives.

Also the coverage of directives provided by the event MPM is incomplete
in the mpm_common documentation.  I will fix this.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford
South Wing Compton House, Compton Green,