Posted to dev@openwebbeans.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2015/04/26 16:33:14 UTC

do we like to drop servlet-2.5 support?

Hi folks!

I wonder if we still like to support tomcat6 and servlet-2.5. We are talking about technology which got introduced more than 10 years ago and is outdated since 5 years now.

When switching to servlet-3.0++ we would have a few options:

Make WebBeansConfigurationListener just implement the contextInitialized and destroy and register the BeginWebBeansListener and EndWebBeansListener dynamically as first respective last listener in the chain.

Any objections?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: do we like to drop servlet-2.5 support?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
what can be done is to "standardize" (=force) listener names. Then user can
put them in web.xml and we can check if already there. If there dont do
anything for this listener if not then do our magic. That said it still
doesnt mean breaking 2.5 compatibility since the initalizer would be 100%
ignored by servlet 2.5 containers. We can even support
HttpSessionIdListener (servlet 3.1) using a bit of reflection in
the initalizer I think.

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.