Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/04 02:15:47 UTC

Organizing future discussions

Hello, list

Maybe we can start to discuss how the documentation for AOO 4 will be
organized, going on with a long discussion we had on the dev mailing
list(1).

IMO, there are three main topics that needs to be addressed:

* Bundled help: As previously mentioned on this list by Pedro Giffuni, the
online help system is really useful but it needs a lot of love. I have no
idea how those help pages are build... If someone on the list know how all
this work (how new pages are created, how existing ones are modified...)
please start a new thread with some pointers.

* Web help: Build a full documentation on the wiki that can be used as
reference for any documentation effort. As I mentioned on the DEV list, on
the ES wiki we started an experiment(2), and based on this I wrote a
"proposed TOC" draft(3).

* Books, either printed or as distributable PDFs. Content for this can be
worked from the previous point, but we need to define templates, for
example.

Anything else?

(1) http://markmail.org/message/tnxe66xxmad6njhq
(2) http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/ES/Manuales/GuiaAOO
(3)
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Details+on+Scenario+3#DetailsonScenario3-ProposedTOC

Regards
Ricardo

Re: Organizing future discussions

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ricardo,

2013/1/4 RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>

> Hello, list
>
> Maybe we can start to discuss how the documentation for AOO 4 will be
> organized, going on with a long discussion we had on the dev mailing
> list(1).
>
> IMO, there are three main topics that needs to be addressed:
>
> * Bundled help: As previously mentioned on this list by Pedro Giffuni, the
> online help system is really useful but it needs a lot of love. I have no
> idea how those help pages are build... If someone on the list know how all
> this work (how new pages are created, how existing ones are modified...)
> please start a new thread with some pointers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=OOo2HelpAuthoring.pdf&sugexp=chrome,mod=2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Not for me ;-)

> * Web help: Build a full documentation on the wiki that can be used as
> reference for any documentation effort. As I mentioned on the DEV list, on
> the ES wiki we started an experiment(2), and based on this I wrote a
> "proposed TOC" draft(3).

I think it's the best choice for the main doc. For me it requests to learn
about how to write in a wiki, but this is the life ;-)

> * Books, either printed or as distributable PDFs. Content for this can be
> worked from the previous point, but we need to define templates, for
> example.

Books and why not multimedia ebooks derivated from the docs on the wiki
 would be nice. But before, we need to have a "full" documentation on the
wiki.

> Anything else?

As I'm involved  in the educoo.org doc project and work under ALv2.0, I
could share material with an AOO doc project. But ... my docs are in
french. So, I don't really know if that helps or not. BTW I will install an
AOO english version to can help the english writers. By experience, I know
that it's really boring to control its own work and it takes a lot of time,
so I could help them to spare time.

--
gw

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/4 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, list
> >
> > Maybe we can start to discuss how the documentation for AOO 4 will be
> > organized, going on with a long discussion we had on the dev mailing
> > list(1).
> >
> > IMO, there are three main topics that needs to be addressed:
> >
> > * Bundled help: As previously mentioned on this list by Pedro Giffuni,
> the
> > online help system is really useful but it needs a lot of love. I have no
> > idea how those help pages are build... If someone on the list know how
> all
> > this work (how new pages are created, how existing ones are modified...)
> > please start a new thread with some pointers.
> >
> > * Web help: Build a full documentation on the wiki that can be used as
> > reference for any documentation effort. As I mentioned on the DEV list,
> on
> > the ES wiki we started an experiment(2), and based on this I wrote a
> > "proposed TOC" draft(3).
> >
> > * Books, either printed or as distributable PDFs. Content for this can be
> > worked from the previous point, but we need to define templates, for
> > example.
> >

> Wikipedia has the ability to export MWiki pages to ODF format.  It is
> part of their "Book creator" feature.  (They can also export to PDF).
> Would something like help?  Or do we need more control over layout and
> formatting?

That depends on how the odt document is created: if styles are used, there
is no problem, just a bit of work to redefine the styles and everything
will be OK. Maybe cross references between pages could be a bit
problematic... but nothing that a good search&replace cannot sort, IMO.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by louise forsberg <ri...@yahoo.se>.

Från: Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>
Till: doc@openoffice.apache.org
Kopia: "louise forsberg" <ri...@yahoo.se>
Datum: fredag 4 januari 2013 15:24

OpenOffice is supported by the community of users, so there is no phone
support.

Sadly, I do not see a native swedish mailing list

http://openoffice.apache.org/native-lang.html

Or a forum (this link shows supported language forums)

http://forum.openoffice.org/

If there is no swedish forum or mailing list (I did not see one), then
consider posting to the English forum or the English mailing list

users@openoffice.apache.org to ask questions after you subscribe

Ask your specific question in both English (best you can) and in Swedish
(in the same email or forum post).

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: Organizing future discussions

Posted by louise forsberg <ri...@yahoo.se>.
not possible for me

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

Posted by louise forsberg <ri...@yahoo.se>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

SV: Organizing future discussions

Posted by louise forsberg <ri...@yahoo.se>.

.. förstår ingenting    - v  v skriv på svenska ..

som ni skriver på open office att det ska  fungera numera men inte har gått att tanka ner

vart kan   jag ringa för erhålla vidare support om detta ?