Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2019/01/28 16:00:54 UTC

Fwd: [Notice] Rate limiting in effect on JIRA, BZ, Moin

heads up, since this could impact Release Doc Maker. I haven't done a
pass of the code yet. Will try to find time this week.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.
I really hate how INFRA just drops this stuff without any warning.  I wish they’d work with us for once. Anyway, this is going to totally destroy precommit-admin.  It needs a complete rewrite: it’s highly inefficient and doesn’t work with pipeline jobs. But it’s going to take time and I know that right now I personally don’t have any.

A few weeks ago (when I did have time) I was toying around with the jenkins<->lira plugin for patch submission.  It works by sending the full JIRA key (e.g., YETUS-1) but it doesn’t appear to be possible to limit it to just attachment changes (wether this is on the Jenkins side or the JIRA side, I’m unsure).  As a result of those experiments, I’ve been thinking that it would be worthwhile to make a backwards incompatible precommit-admin that does a few things differently:

	* always sends the full key as JIRA_ISSUE_KEY to be compatible with the web hook and with multibranch pipelines (since there will likely only be one job for multiple JIRA projects, e.g., Hadoop)
	* dumps out a file that lists what issue should be triggered and includes some sample Jenkinsfile groovy code to read it and talk to pipelines[1]
	* can use JIRA_ISSUE_KEY as input to determine if that job should be processed; this eliminates the 10 minute wait(!)
	* without JIRA_ISSUE_KEY, go ahead and query JIRA (via REST calls rather than the search xml API); this deals with the “Jenkins was down” problem

Configuration would be very different than what we have today, obviously. (Minimally, need a project -> job mapping so that a HDFS-xxx JIRA issue triggers the Hadoop multibranch pipeline job.)  It will probably also put us on track to EOL the various ‘Precommit-XXX-admin’ jobs.  Given the forced march to Github, that may not necessarily be a bad thing.

1 - Jenkins pipelines don’t support token auth for some reason.  This completely breaks the ASF model and I can’t see a way to unbreak it easily.  Dynamic job triggering pretty much requires something plugged into the Jenkins java code. :( :(