Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by A Z <po...@live.com.au> on 2022/04/06 09:26:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Getting XAMPP Apache on Windows 10 to work through local network!

Dear Apache, one and all,

-I am running Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition. My web browser is Firefox 64 bit 98.0.2. I have downloaded and am using XAMPP 7.4.28 from https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html.

I am using WordPress 5.9.2. I used the free version of Elementor 3.6.2 as my page builder.  In Permalinks I have selected ‘Post name’. I am using the theme ‘Twenty Twenty-one’ to rely my present website on. I am operating in an entirely Windows 10 local, home network.

I am aware that it is possible to run Apache as a webserver through a local network only, certainly a Windows one, via the general mood on the internet.

I have changed SSL and Apache default port numbers. I have added ingoing and outgoing firewall rules on both the client and server PCS, to allow Apache SSL to get through, and WordPress website SSL as well, apparently, though not in practice. 🙁

I have developed a local WordPress website on my local client PC at home. It does work on the server machine it was developed on, and I want to test it through the local network next.

I have gotten everything working up to the point where the client computer in the Network can load the XAMPP dashboard that the server PC is serving. This seems to imply that I have all my network nodes, firewall rules and protocol transmission right. But I can’t get my WordPress website to get transmitted through to the client PC web browser; I simply get a no connection error message from the client PC.

I believe that my problem may be related to the configuring of Apache.  I start and stop Apache through the XAMPP control panel.  I can also immediately access and change the files

httpd.conf, httpd-ssl.conf and htttpd-xampp.conf, although I have only adjusted the first two.

Is there anything better that I can do to get my WordPress Elementor website to be viewable by Firefox on another PC inside the local network?

RE: [users@httpd] Re: Getting XAMPP Apache on Windows 10 to work through local network!

Posted by Marc <Ma...@f1-outsourcing.eu>.
Some client told me to never do business with companies/people that call themselves hero, master etc. Makes me wonder about people calling themselves good guy.

Posted by 😉 Good Guy 😉 <xf...@hotmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Getting XAMPP Apache on Windows 10 to work through local network!

Posted by A Z <po...@live.com.au>.
Dear Apache,

My story is the same as before, I would like to get my WordPress
working throughout a Windows 10 home network, but
can't seem to succeed.

I don't want to introduce the complications of bind or dns,
or any other similar facility in Windows.

Isn't there just a way that I can reconfigure Apache so that it
broadcasts, or is accessible by default, throughout my local network?

My Apache webserver is serving my WordPress site in https,
but if the certificate doesn't confirm, there is the option
to go ahead anyway, which I am happy with for the time being.

I do have my webserver running so that the XAMPP default screen
does run and appear in a web browser through the network.  For
reasons that I can't explain, and more importantly don't know how
to repair, I can't get my WordPress to come up.

What can I do with Apache itself so that it just self naturally can be
accessed through the local network?
Posted by Jens Kallup <ka...@web.de>.
Hello,

#