Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2016/04/09 01:53:12 UTC

Re: [CONF] Apache Solr Reference Guide > Upgrading a Solr Cluster

:
: Change comment: fix very minor error -- /ec/default instead of /etc/defaults. Also indicate that the solr.in.sh
: file will get a different name if the service name is changed. In a few places the text said "Solr 5". Removed the

Shawn: thanks for those edits -- but i do not think it's a good idea to
include the extra note you added about solr.in.sh possibly having a diff
name....

There is already large warning about this at the top of the page.  It
seems inconsistent to call this out in the 1 place you added it to,
unless we also call out every other place in this page (and on the "Taking Solr to
Production" page) where using an alternate service name affects file names
or commands (ie: every mention of solr.in.sh, every mention of /var/solr,
ever mention of "sudo service solr ...")

The goal here should be to keep the upgrade steps simple, focus on the
common case, and have minimal distractions for the uncommon cases.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: [CONF] Apache Solr Reference Guide > Upgrading a Solr Cluster

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > ...but maybe we should move it up into the "Run the Solr Installation
: > Script" subsection and generalize it?
: >
: > "NOTE: the remainder of this doc assumes you use the install script
: > defaults, some directories and filenames may change if you override
: > options, such as the "-s service_name" option"

: I do think the doc should spell out the path changes introduced by a
: different service name, in one place, probably at the beginning of the
: "installation script" section -- but this is not *necessary*, and I can
: accept that the doc will be easier to maintain if it's not there.

Having reviewd both docs a bit more, i think they are bettter treated
differently...

---

1) As a brand new user learning how to install...

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Taking+Solr+to+Production#TakingSolrtoProduction-RuntheSolrInstallationScript

after introducing the basic command to run the installer, and then showing
the equivilent command with every option spelled out...

sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-X.Y.Z.tgz
sudo bash ./install_solr_service.sh solr-X.Y.Z.tgz -i /opt -d /var/solr -u solr -s solr -p 8983

...there are 4 subsections - 2 of which have notes like this...

"By default, the installation script uses /var/solr/data. If the -d option
is used on the install script, then this will change to the data
subdirectory in the location given to the -d option."

and

"Take a moment to inspect the contents of the /etc/default/solr.in.sh
file, which is the default path setup by the installation script. If you
used the -s option on the install script to change the name of the
service, then the first part of the filename will be different.  For a
service named solr-demo, the file will be named
/etc/default/solr-demo.in.sh."

...I think those absolutely make sense in that "new user" context, to help
you get an idea how changingthe install options affects the subsequent
commants -- i actaully think we should probably add a similar note to the
"init.d script" subsection...

"If you used the -s option on the install script to change the name of the
service, then the filename used in the /etc/init.d/ directory will be
different."

---

2) The ugprading page has a diff target user...

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Upgrading+a+Solr+Cluster

If you are upgrading you are already an existing solr users, and you
should already be familiar with the basic concepts of the solr service
scripts -- the very first thing thta page does is give you a link to
the "Taking Solr to Production" to say you must have installed Solr that
way to use those steps -- we cn assume you are familiar with those
concepts and have read that info.

On this Upgrading page -- i think it's fine that we have a single warning
callout box that says: "The steps outlined on this page assume you use the
default service name of "solr". If you use an alternate service name, some
paths and commands will have to be modified accordingly."

...the one thing i think we should add to that though is "...alternate
service name or installation directory, some of the paths and commands..."
... since even if you didn't override "-s solr" when you installed, if you
overrode "-d /var/solr" or "-i /opt" then you'll have to tweak things as
well.

---

Sound good?

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: [CONF] Apache Solr Reference Guide > Upgrading a Solr Cluster

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/11/2016 10:34 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> ...but maybe we should move it up into the "Run the Solr Installation
> Script" subsection and generalize it?
>
> "NOTE: the remainder of this doc assumes you use the install script
> defaults, some directories and filenames may change if you override
> options, such as the "-s service_name" option"
>
> WDYT?

I do think the doc should spell out the path changes introduced by a
different service name, in one place, probably at the beginning of the
"installation script" section -- but this is not *necessary*, and I can
accept that the doc will be easier to maintain if it's not there.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: [CONF] Apache Solr Reference Guide > Upgrading a Solr Cluster

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > The goal here should be to keep the upgrade steps simple, focus on the
: > common case, and have minimal distractions for the uncommon cases.
:
: I moved it, then took it out after thinking about it a little more.  I
: see that the "taking solr to production" page already has this specific

Hmm -- but the same working on those 2 diff pages doesn't really seem like
an apples to apples comparison though ... on the Taking Solr to Production
page we *just* introduced for thefirst time the install script and the
options ot change the service name, so it makes a bit more sense to
explicitly call out (in an inline context) how it will affect the file
names...

...but maybe we should move it up into the "Run the Solr Installation
Script" subsection and generalize it?

"NOTE: the remainder of this doc assumes you use the install script
defaults, some directories and filenames may change if you override
options, such as the "-s service_name" option"

WDYT?

: note, although that page mentions solr5 and has a bunch of examples
: containing "5.0.0".

yeah ... kind of a seperate issue: i'm going to audit all mentions of
"Solr 5" or "5.0" in the ref guide ASAP.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: [CONF] Apache Solr Reference Guide > Upgrading a Solr Cluster

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/8/2016 5:53 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> :
> : Change comment: fix very minor error -- /ec/default instead of /etc/defaults. Also indicate that the solr.in.sh
> : file will get a different name if the service name is changed. In a few places the text said "Solr 5". Removed the
>
> Shawn: thanks for those edits -- but i do not think it's a good idea to
> include the extra note you added about solr.in.sh possibly having a diff
> name....
>
> There is already large warning about this at the top of the page.  It
> seems inconsistent to call this out in the 1 place you added it to,
> unless we also call out every other place in this page (and on the "Taking Solr to
> Production" page) where using an alternate service name affects file names
> or commands (ie: every mention of solr.in.sh, every mention of /var/solr,
> ever mention of "sudo service solr ...")
>
> The goal here should be to keep the upgrade steps simple, focus on the
> common case, and have minimal distractions for the uncommon cases.

I moved it, then took it out after thinking about it a little more.  I
see that the "taking solr to production" page already has this specific
note, although that page mentions solr5 and has a bunch of examples
containing "5.0.0".

I'm only awake right now because work called with a problem.  I can take
a look later, after I wake up for real.

Thanks,
Shawn