Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Bernd Waibel <BW...@intarsys.de> on 2016/07/13 12:15:36 UTC

Running james 3 on windows [unsigned]

Hello together,

I am trying james 3 Beta 5 on windows.

I compiled and created all artifacts, and got the "run.bat" command. But the "run.bat" will not work.

The run.bat is created with a CLASSPATH=... which has more than 8192 characters (currently about 10.000).
This are too much characters for Windows cmd.exe (currently running on windows 10), cause the limit is 8192 characters.
When running "run.bat" you will get a message "command line too long".

This may get better, as soon as the "SNAPSHOT" Tag is removed from the .jar files.
But this will occur again, if there are more other libs and projects.

A solution would be:
Use the feature of java.exe, which is acception a "*" as classpath, since Java6.

So I would recommend to use:

set CLASSPATH="%BASEDIR%"\conf;"%REPO%"\*;

instead, and not to generate the CLASSPATH.

Btw: This works for"*.jar", but not for "*.zip".

What do you think?

Best regards,
Bernd

AW: Running james 3 on windows [unsigned]

Posted by Bernd Waibel <BW...@intarsys.de>.
Hello Matthieu,

Thanks for your response. I will create a JIRA Ticket, and open a pull request.

The appassembler-maven-plugin will support this "windows" problem, since 1.3.1.
We need to skip from the very old version 1.0 to version 1.10 of the plugin,
and set an option to use "*" instead of the whole classpath.

Best regards,
Bernd Waibel

I don't have hard opinion about what we should do on windows.

Feel free to propose a patch about that, I'll merge it if people agree here.

Matthieu Baechler

Re: Running james 3 on windows [unsigned]

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.
Hi Bernd,