Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Geurts, G.P.T.M." <g....@i-groep.leidenuniv.nl> on 2009/09/16 13:17:10 UTC

[users@httpd] vhost based syslog logging

Hello list.
I'm configuring syslog for our servers. One of them is a apache
webserver. We've decided to log as much as possible via syslog. For
apache the ErrorLog can go directly to syslog and for CustumLogs I use a
small perl script, logger.pl,  that listens for input and logs it to
syslog. This works how it's supposed to but the problem is that for
every vhost we have two CustomLog directives, one for port 80 and one
for port 443. This means we will get allot of scripts running, doing
exacly the same... I thought I could just specify one CustomLog
"|logger.pl" in httpd.conf and filter them again per vhost acording to
the servername using syslog-ng. The problem with this is %v and %V as is
the headerline Host(%{Host}i)are set to the hostname of the machine
serving apache, not the vhost name...
Does anyone know a solution for this problem.

Geert  Geurts
Universiteit Leiden
Afdeling Middleware
Tel:071-5276873

Re: [users@httpd] vhost based syslog logging

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 16.09.09 13:17, Geurts, G.P.T.M. wrote:
> I'm configuring syslog for our servers. One of them is a apache
> webserver. We've decided to log as much as possible via syslog. For
> apache the ErrorLog can go directly to syslog and for CustumLogs I use a
> small perl script, logger.pl,  that listens for input and logs it to
> syslog. This works how it's supposed to but the problem is that for
> every vhost we have two CustomLog directives, one for port 80 and one
> for port 443.

do you really have one vhost on both ports (80 and 443)?
Aren't they really two virtual hosts, one without ssl, one with it?

> This means we will get allot of scripts running, doing
> exacly the same... I thought I could just specify one CustomLog
> "|logger.pl" in httpd.conf and filter them again per vhost acording to
> the servername using syslog-ng.

> The problem with this is %v and %V as is
> the headerline Host(%{Host}i)are set to the hostname of the machine
> serving apache, not the vhost name...

configure UseCanonicalName setting, it affects into what is %V resolved.

I have it turned on (which means, I don't see which hostname was requested,
bad bad mod_log_config!).

I only use one access log for all vhosts, and one for default vhost with
different settings (UseCanonicalName off so it logs requested hostname too).

Don't you se dynamic virtual hosts by any chance?
There's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture that
allows you to install Windows.   -- Matthew D. Fuller