Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <sb...@stason.org> on 2000/02/29 21:48:52 UTC

mod_proxy/mod_perl thread followup

[snipped]

> > 2) a mod_perl process generates a response of 64k, a proxy request reads
> > from mod_perl socket by 8k chunks and sends down the socket, No matter
> > what's the client's speed the data gets buffered once again at the socket.
> > So even if the client is slow the proxy server completes the proxying of
> > 64k data even before the client was able to absorb the data. Thus the
> > system socket serves as another buffer on the way to the client.
> >

> yes, too (but receive and transmit buffer may be of different size,
> depending on the OS)
>
> The problem I don't know is, does the call to close the socket wait,
> until all data is actually send successfully or not. If it doesn't wait,
> you may not be noticed of any failiure, but because the proxing Apache
> can write as fast to the socket transmitt buffer as he can read, it
> should be possible that the proxing Apache copies all the data from the
> receive to the transmitt buffer and after that releaseing the receive
> buffer, so the mod_perl Apache is free to do other things, while the
> proxing Apache still wait until the client returns the success of data
> transmission. (The last, is the part I am not sure on)

Any followups? I don't want the Guide to carry misleading info, so if I
cannot confirm this, I'd have to remove it and a pity...

Thanks!!!

[I've almost absorbed the mod_proxy/mod_perl thread we have had a few
weeks ago into a section of the Guide, the last thing that was left
unclear is the doubt that Gerald has rised in his reply to my summary. Can
you please confirm or disprove it? Thanks]

Stas Bekman    mailto:sbekman@iname.com      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com