Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Dave Glowacki <dg...@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu> on 2002/08/13 15:33:09 UTC

Re: How often does one do annotate?

Daniel Berlin wrote:
> How often does one do annotate?
> I think i've used it twice, ever.

I probably use 'cvs ann' at least once a month.  I'm involved
in several medium-sized projects (500-1000 files, averaging
700-1000 lines each) and I find it useful to figure out either
the context in which a particular change was made or to determine
what the file looked like before the change was made.

For either one, I'll do 'cvs ann' to find the revision where
the line or lines I'm interested in were changed.

To get the context, I'll do 'cvs diff -r<rev-1> -r<rev>'.

To find out what the file looked like before the change,
I'll either do 'cvs ann -r<rev-1> | less' or even
'cvs update -r<rev-1>'.

Re: How often does one do annotate?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
While frequency is an important measure, I think the *relative* frequency of
operations is more important. For example, we definitely don't want to
impact simple *retrieval* at the cost of "blame" support. As a result, we
probably would not want to use a system whereby we store [in the repository]
line-oriented diffs for text files.

Personally, I use blame maybe once every couple months. I always use ViewCVS
to do it, as I don't have the "cvs ann" command in my head.

Cheers,
-g