Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2003/02/26 15:17:11 UTC

Xopus

After a long and productive exchange of email, the people at q42
(creators of the Xopus XML editor) decided that they don't want to
dedicate their effort to an open source involvement.

They will continue the development of Xopus in-house and for commercial
interests and will not further improve the version they made available
on the web at xopus.org.

They wish good luck to any project that would like to improve on that
codebase and make an OSS project out of it (they know they don't have
the rights to revoque the apache-like license they used to release xopus
as open source) but they will not help in such an effort unless they
found a major money sponsoring for it and none is at the horizon.

In short, their concern is about finding a way to make a living and
continue to have fun doing innovating software. They believe that
embracing OSS will force them to move into a service market and this is
a direction they don't want to follow.

As a fan of the xopus concept, I'm sad to report this, but as potential
apache sponsor of the project, I believed that this choice will save
both sides a lot of pain, troubles and negative energy.

It could be entirely legal for any of us to take the open source Xopus
version, give the deserved credit, change the project name and incubate
a project here for an inline XML editor, but it won't be ethical from my
point of view since I personally cared about the people behind the
software, rather then the software itself. Having the software without
the people who created it, it's pointless, stupid and will irritate many.

The concept of inline editors is a very nice one, but it wouldn't be
worth loosing respect and friendship from all the people involved.

I would like to thank Lon and the rest of the people at q42 for being
such great guys and I wish them all possible luck for their commercial
ventures.

Ciao.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>