Posted to dev@ponymail.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2016/09/01 14:09:23 UTC

Coffee and cake, part deux

Hi folks,

As is evident, we haven't been getting a lot of traction on the JS dev
front from new people, and as such, I am going to bring up an old
subject, rehashed a bit.

Specifically, I would like to propose that we make a coffee branch of
PonyMail with a ReactDOM-like approach to handling DOM, making it
clearer and neater what goes on in the big ol' DOM tree, which is rather
messy right now (and I fear that's why people aren't trying to tackle
issues themselves).

In my opinion, this will:
- Make the UI segments cleaner, more intuitive
- Make DOM handling much easier going forward
- Make things a tad faster
- Allow us to properly use view classes and have new views inherit
defaults from the original classes.
- Allow for a higher rate of commentary as the DOM kludges disappear

To get things started, I'll be setting up the branch and testing a
complete migration, but what I naturally need is the community's
approval of making this the _default_ development process going forward.

I'd like to think of this as PonyMail Mark 2, and it's my hope that
it'll be accepted by the community. I haven't pushed any volleys of code
just yet, as I haven't started, but I'll begin by adding some DOM and
API tools first, and then work my way towards the actual interface.
I suspect the API and backend will remain the same.

This will be an experiment to start with, but hopefully one that bears
fruit :)

So, thoughts, comments, etc (even a +1!) are welcome.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Coffee and cake, part deux

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Coffee and cake, part deux

Posted by Michelle Phung <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Coffee and cake, part deux

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 01/09/2016 16:09, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> As is evident, we haven't been getting a lot of traction on the JS dev
> front from new people, and as such, I am going to bring up an old
> subject, rehashed a bit.
>
> Specifically, I would like to propose that we make a coffee branch of
> PonyMail with a ReactDOM-like approach to handling DOM, making it
> clearer and neater what goes on in the big ol' DOM tree, which is rather
> messy right now (and I fear that's why people aren't trying to tackle
> issues themselves).
>
> In my opinion, this will:
> - Make the UI segments cleaner, more intuitive
> - Make DOM handling much easier going forward
> - Make things a tad faster
> - Allow us to properly use view classes and have new views inherit
> defaults from the original classes.
> - Allow for a higher rate of commentary as the DOM kludges disappear
>
> To get things started, I'll be setting up the branch and testing a
> complete migration, but what I naturally need is the community's
> approval of making this the _default_ development process going forward.
>
> I'd like to think of this as PonyMail Mark 2, and it's my hope that
> it'll be accepted by the community. I haven't pushed any volleys of code
> just yet, as I haven't started, but I'll begin by adding some DOM and
> API tools first, and then work my way towards the actual interface.
> I suspect the API and backend will remain the same.
>
> This will be an experiment to start with, but hopefully one that bears
> fruit :)
>
> So, thoughts, comments, etc (even a +1!) are welcome.

+1 be, then :-)

--
Francesco Chicchiricc�

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer, PonyMail PPMC
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/