Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2016/01/20 21:19:08 UTC

Dealing with GitHub PRs

Hi all,

first a gentle reminder; we only decided that having a Github PR is required for all commits. We did not agree or decide that committers can not merge their own PRs. A committer can certainly decide to merge someone else’s PR (please make sure the commit message is accurate), but there can also be reasons why the original author would like to defer / delay the merge. For example, maybe he has someone else reviewing it, or waiting for someone to test it etc.

We also agreed, I think, that all communications (reviews, problems, comments) on  should be done on the respective Github PR. This allows us to track the flow and comments in one place, and those Github messages does get posted back to the Jira. This means, in general, don’t comment on the Jira directly, but on the Github PR. HOWEVER, this means all PR must properly identify the Jira in the description, such that the tools can automatically cross post. This does not include e.g. documentation changes, which don’t require Jira’s (but they certainly can).

Cheers,

— leif