Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Bichov, Vitaly" <vi...@hp.com> on 2015/02/02 10:27:56 UTC

maven 3.0.6 release date

Hi,

There is this (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5315) bug.
The bug has a fix proposal and a workaround.
Due to some restrictions I can't apply the workaround on my environment.

Will the bug be fixed in the next (3.0.6)  release?
When will 3.0.6 version will be released if ever?

Thank you,
Vitaly

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

based on the JIRA not...but i'm not sure if this is just left over cause
the text sounds like it has been solved for 3.0.5 and
3.1.0...furthermore i'm using a parallel build with 180 modules without
any issue...for a long time...Maven 3.1.1....

On 2/2/15 6:58 PM, Bichov, Vitaly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Was the issue resolved in 3.2.5?

Have you tried to run with 3.2.5 ?

RE: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by "Bichov, Vitaly" <vi...@hp.com>.
Hi,

Was the issue resolved in 3.2.5?

Thank you,
Vitaly

isn't it an option to update to 3.2.5 ? Have you tried it ?

On 2/2/15 10:27 AM, Bichov, Vitaly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is this (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5315) bug.
> The bug has a fix proposal and a workaround.
> Due to some restrictions I can't apply the workaround on my environment.
>
> Will the bug be fixed in the next (3.0.6)  release?
> When will 3.0.6 version will be released if ever?
>
> Thank you,
> Vitaly

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

In practise it seems to be a small issue (at least for us). Older
branches are seldomly touched and nearly all work with any 3.x
versions (the main reason for this is, that we prefer to use Eclipse
with its internal default maven). My main pain of switching (mostly
JVM) comes from working on OSS projects in parallel to company.

I think it is actually a good idea to keep all active branches somewhat
recent. Otherwise you wont get support for those older plugins in case
you need it (and you run into these problems).

Anyway, I actually have a simple batch file to set my PATH with some
usual combinations of java and maven (asf, company6, company7), but the
idea of having this information inside the project root directory is
attractive for quick switching.

I think a promising tool for your need would be jenv. As it
is documented now it deals with the java version, but it already
brings wrappers for maven, so it might only need a small tweaking to
modify the maven path as well. https://github.com/gcuisinier/jenv

I somewhat feel this is the better way than letting maven parse the POM
and refork itself.

Gruss
Bernd

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Doug Douglass <do...@gmail.com>.

I have not used, but http://mvnvm.org purports to do what you're asking for.

maven system settings (was: maven 3.0.6 release date)

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
You can specify a empty settings file with -s and define MAVEN_SKIP_RC,
this will avoid all system specific configs (as long as nobody modifies
the maven program folder).

However to my experience sooner or later you do need some specific
landscape settings in the settings.xml file. So it is a good idea to
plan for adding it into the configuration management. Jenkins' maven
builder can manage those config files for example.

Gruss
Bernd

PS: no idea how this is related with the release planning.

 Am Mon, 2 Feb 2015 09:58:39 -0700

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Curtis,

I understand the obligatory reply.  I want to point out I'm not saying it
would be easy to implement...just that the concept/feature seems simple.  I
have no idea if the seemingly simple concept would be simple to
implement...that would probably take deep knowledge of how Maven is
structured.

It seems our team is not the only ones that could use this feature as I
have seen many approaches at solving this problem but none that address it
internally within Maven.

-Dave

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Chris,

On 2/2/15 6:23 PM, Curtis Rueden wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I feel compelled to throw out the obligatory "It's open source; scratch
> your itch" response here. It sounds like your team could really use this
> feature, you seem to think it would be easy to implement, you have an
> existing template for how another related build tool already does this, and
> it is not a feature already being worked on by the core Maven developers.
> It might be worth the development effort for your team to contribute the
> feature upstream.

Yes thumb up...create an JIRA issue for it and start working on it...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi David,

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
For the first question, there is not one answer.  As an example one current
project is on 3.0.4.  I did upgrade that one to 3.2.5 and I found I had to
update several plugins (unfortunately I don't recall which ones those
were).  In trunk I made those changes so we could use 3.2.5 but I can't
make those same plugin changes for branch builds (no one wants to assume

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi David,

unfortunately you really didn't answer my question...

 From which versions of Maven would you like to update...? And what are

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

Our posts crossed.  We use several different Maven versions but upgrading
has always been problematic because it's hard if not impossible to upgrade
all projects to the latest.  It's easy to upgrade the trunk (usually) but

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
That's great that Jenkins does this but we need it built into Maven
directly.  Our CI infrastructure is TeamCity with many hundreds of builds
and that's not going to change any time soon and we need developers to get
the same feature from the command line & integrated with their IDE.

-Dave

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 8:12 AM, <co...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> I have to admit, this would be pretty cool.
>
> However, Jenkins already has this functionality. You specify the Maven
> version in the job and configure Jenkins to automatically download that
> version (it does with this with Java and Ant as well).
>
> I highly suggest you look into it. Even running it on your local machine
> is pretty convenient.
>
> Cody Fyler
> Lending Grid Build Team
> G=Lending Grid Builds
> (515) – 441 - 0814

RE: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by co...@wellsfargo.com.

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi David,

On 2/2/15 4:05 PM, David Hoffer wrote:
> On a somewhat related note, one feature I'd like to see added to Maven is
> the ability to easily upgrade the version of Maven used.  I want the build
> to specify the version of Maven used and automatically download and use
> that version.

If you work with CI systems like Jenkins they can exactly do what you
wish...

Just define the version you like to use of Maven change the used version
in the build job and run the build. It will automatically download the
Maven version and use it...

 > Currently it's the system that determines what version is
> installed on the path.

 > The best a project can do is require a (min)
> version of Maven.

I suppose you are talking about prerequisites ?

>  This makes it hard to upgrade as we have several
> projects to support and some will never be upgraded as they are older
> branches.

Why ? Are those project maven plugin projects or "usual" application
build projects ?

Furthermore the question is which versions do they use at the moment ?

Why not updating Maven ...just do some tests build in a Jenkins and
afterward simply change it..?

 > Is this feature on the Maven radar?

Not that i know...but i have to admit that i didn't check the jira for
that...But of course you can create a jira issue for this...

 From my perspective i have my doubts to support such thing...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
On 3 Feb 2015, at 4:05, David Hoffer wrote:

> On a somewhat related note, one feature I'd like to see added to Maven is
> the ability to easily upgrade the version of Maven used.  I want the build
> to specify the version of Maven used and automatically download and use
> that version.  Currently it's the system that determines what version is
> installed on the path.  The best a project can do is require a (min)
> version of Maven.  This makes it hard to upgrade as we have several
> projects to support and some will never be upgraded as they are older
> branches.  Is this feature on the Maven radar?

Could this be handled in the /bin/mvn script - have a new "mvn upgrade" that could download into ~/.m2/install" and run from there if newer than the system install.

This could also maven allow you to define a environment variable for M2_VERSION and have it download run against that?

Mark

--
Mark Derricutt
http://www.theoryinpractice.net

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven 3.0.6 release date

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

isn't it an option to update to 3.2.5 ? Have you tried it ?

On 2/2/15 10:27 AM, Bichov, Vitaly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is this (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5315) bug.
> The bug has a fix proposal and a workaround.
> Due to some restrictions I can't apply the workaround on my environment.
>
> Will the bug be fixed in the next (3.0.6)  release?
> When will 3.0.6 version will be released if ever?
>
> Thank you,
> Vitaly

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise