Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jeremy Taylor <je...@GetWiredRight.com> on 2008/10/21 21:22:57 UTC

setup issues without demo data - only seed data

Hi,

I have been struggling to get a working configuration of opentaps/ofbiz using
the 1.0.2 download when not loading demo data. If I run the "ant
run-install-seed" command to populate the database, features do not work out of
the box. The OFBiz Basic Production Setup guide discusses loading only seed
data, however it does not seem to include enough information to configure all
features to work. I have not found a configuration document describing this,
but it seems like it would be common to want to start this way. Am I missing
something? Is there a better path to have a clean database without demo data?

I have gotten the initial store setup and catalog/categories populated. I can
see products on the ecommerce store front. If I click to view a product, I am
taken out of the store and back to the general ofbiz portal links. If I try to
add the product to the cart, the same thing happens. If I search the catalog,
same thing.

Obviously, there is some configuration that has not occurred that it needs for
those features to work, but I see no errors through the interface or in the
ofbiz.log or console.log.

Can anyone point out the issue here or point me in the direction of a path that
reaches the goal of a working setup without demo data?

Thanks much,

Jeremy

Re: setup issues without demo data - only seed data

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
where your using opentaps, with ofbiz it is in the hot-deploy.
I suggest you ask you question here
http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=145855
if you take out opentaps then we can help here.

Jeremy Taylor sent the following on 10/21/2008 12:22 PM:

Posted by Ray <ra...@makeyour-point.com>.
As BJ said you will need to approach the opentaps forum for more
specific help.

In general OFBiz terms seed data is just the basics for types and such,
it will not provide a fully functional catalog/ecommerce/facility
management system etc. The best approach is to take all the "demo" xml
files and go through them one at a time and modify/duplicate them and
remove the contents to suit your needs. You'll learn a lot about the
data structures and relationships and it's quite easy to decide on
removing some data i.e. <Product ..../> is obviously a product you may
not want where as you will need to load some catalogue payment types to
get check out working.

If you export your existing database to individual entity named xml
files you can also quickly compare what you may not have set up when
looking through the demo xml files.

Ray