Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/11/12 23:29:34 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Tomcat Webinar series

All,

I've been wondering if there would be any interest in a Tomcat Webinar
series. I'm thinking ~10 minutes of presentation followed by Q&A on
topics of interest to this community with the webinars taking place
every 1/2/4 weeks depending on interest. The webinars would also be
recorded and uploaded somewhere - probably youtube - and linked from
tomcat.apache.org.

My initial thoughts on possible topics are:

- Intro to Tomcat 9 (the first milestone release is in progress as
  I type this)

- TLS virtual hosting with Tomcat 9

- Generating TLS keys for Tomcat

- HTTP/2 and Tomcat 9

- Connector selection: BIO vs NIO vs NIO2 vs APR

- Proxy protocol choice HTTP vs AJP

Other topics as requested by the users@ community.

Presenters would be one of the Tomcat committers. Obviously, I'm happy
to do these but I hope some of my fellow committers will agree to do
some presentations as well.

Thoughts, feedback, topic suggestions welcome.

Mark

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat Webinar series

Posted by prashant sharma <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark.
Sure that would be a very good knowledge sharing session.
Looking forward to the details.

Posted by Filippo Machi <fi...@gmail.com>.
Ciao Mark,
it would be great!
Thanks for all your work :)

Posted by Bjorn Sayers <Bj...@icims.com>.
I think this is a great idea if someone is willing to do the presentations and Q&A

> I've been wondering if there would be any interest in a Tomcat Webinar
> series. I'm thinking ~10 minutes of presentation followed by Q&A on
> topics of interest to this community with the webinars taking place
> every 1/2/4 weeks depending on interest. The webinars would also be
> recorded and uploaded somewhere - probably youtube - and linked from
> tomcat.apache.org.

Great idea!

> My initial thoughts on possible topics are:
>
> - Intro to Tomcat 9 (the first milestone release is in progress as  I
> type this)
>
> - TLS virtual hosting with Tomcat 9
>
> - Generating TLS keys for Tomcat
>
> - HTTP/2 and Tomcat 9
>
> - Connector selection: BIO vs NIO vs NIO2 vs APR
>
> - Proxy protocol choice HTTP vs AJP

Great list. I wonder though, how thoroughly these can be covered in ~10 min. I’d rather watch a longer webinar, than one that only scratches the surface.

Rainer Frey

Product Development

The information in or attached to this e-mail is confidential and may contain personal or legally privileged information. It is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, action taken, or action omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and any attachments from all servers, computers, and devices. Finally, you should check this communication and any attachments for the presence of viruses, as sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this communication.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat Webinar series

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Rainer,

On 11/13/15 5:11 AM, Rainer Frey (Inxmail GmbH) wrote:
>> On 12.11.2015, at 23:29, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I've been wondering if there would be any interest in a Tomcat Webinar
>> series. I'm thinking ~10 minutes of presentation followed by Q&A on
>> topics of interest to this community with the webinars taking place
>> every 1/2/4 weeks depending on interest. The webinars would also be
>> recorded and uploaded somewhere - probably youtube - and linked from
>> tomcat.apache.org.
>
> Great idea!
>
>> My initial thoughts on possible topics are:
>>
>> - Intro to Tomcat 9 (the first milestone release is in progress as
>>  I type this)
>>
>> - TLS virtual hosting with Tomcat 9
>>
>> - Generating TLS keys for Tomcat
>>
>> - HTTP/2 and Tomcat 9
>>
>> - Connector selection: BIO vs NIO vs NIO2 vs APR
>>
>> - Proxy protocol choice HTTP vs AJP
>
> Great list. I wonder though, how thoroughly these can be covered in ~10 min. I’d
> rather watch a longer webinar, than one that only scratches the surface.

You could always come to ApacheCon for full-length presentations. We'd
love to have you!

-chris

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat Webinar series

Posted by "Rainer Frey (Inxmail GmbH)" <Ra...@inxmail.de>.
> On 12.11.2015, at 23:29, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I've been wondering if there would be any interest in a Tomcat Webinar
> series. I'm thinking ~10 minutes of presentation followed by Q&A on
> topics of interest to this community with the webinars taking place
> every 1/2/4 weeks depending on interest. The webinars would also be
> recorded and uploaded somewhere - probably youtube - and linked from
> tomcat.apache.org.

Great idea!

Posted by "David E. Filip" <df...@colornet.com>.
I think that is a great idea!  Another topic that I would add is clustering and session replication, which I have unfortunately avoided because of the perceived complexity (and instead have relied on cookie sticky to keep a web browser “stuck” to a particular cluster node).  I imagine that session replication might not be that complicated if I had a better understanding of whats all of the knobs and dials did, as it seems to be a lot to customize.

I would also be particularly interested in these:

> - Connector selection: BIO vs NIO vs NIO2 vs APR

> - Proxy protocol choice HTTP vs AJP

FWIW - I tend to be at least one major release behind, as I tend to focus more on stability and … just as important if not more … being able to rely on others who have found and solved any problems I might encounter … :-)

I’d be invested in what the rest of the community has to say … as I acknowledge I might be an outlier in this regard … but if not, if these sessions do move forward, I would encourage focus not just on the latest development release, but also on how to do the cool stuff with earlier releases as well.

Just my $0.02.

Posted by "Cohen, Laurence" <lc...@novetta.com>.
Ok, then I hope this gets started.  Thanks Mark!  Just let me know when and
where.

Larry

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Larry,
>
> On 11/12/15 6:05 PM, Cohen, Laurence wrote:
> > I'd be interested, but we are still using 7.0.59 at work, so if you could
> > tailor at least some of the presentations towards this, in very newbie
> > format I'd definitely be on board.
>
> Tomcat 9 has a whole bunch of nice, shiny, new things, but most of what
> Tomcat 9 and 8 can do, Tomcat 7 can do as well. This is also an
> opportunity for the community to say "hey, we want that back-ported to
> Tomcat [X]". Specifically, I'm going to push for back-porting of the new
> TLS configuration features: TLS virtual-hosting (SNI) and PEM-based
> keys+certs instead of always having to use a keystore.
>
> -chris

[image: www.novetta.com]

Larry Cohen

System Administrator

12021 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 400

Reston, VA 20190

Email  lcohen@novetta.com

Office  703-885-1064

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tomcat Webinar series

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Larry,

Posted by "Cohen, Laurence" <lc...@novetta.com>.

Posted by Jose María Zaragoza <de...@gmail.com>.
> All,
>
> I've been wondering if there would be any interest in a Tomcat Webinar
> series. I'm thinking ~10 minutes of presentation followed by Q&A on
> topics of interest to this community with the webinars taking place
> every 1/2/4 weeks depending on interest. The webinars would also be
> recorded and uploaded somewhere - probably youtube - and linked from
> tomcat.apache.org.

+1

Posted by satish jupalli <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Very nice idea.  one more suggestion for session:

Hardening Tomcat to make it more secure.

Regards
SJ

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 3:57 AM, Christopher Schultz <

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Prashant,

Posted by prashant sharma <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,
You mentioned about Apachecon.
Does it get recorded as well.
If yes can you pls provide the link.

Thanks

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@servoy.com>.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 12.11.2015 23:29, Mark Thomas wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been wondering if there would be any interest in a Tomcat Webinar
> series. I'm thinking ~10 minutes of presentation followed by Q&A on
> topics of interest to this community with the webinars taking place
> every 1/2/4 weeks depending on interest. The webinars would also be
> recorded and uploaded somewhere - probably youtube - and linked from
> tomcat.apache.org.
>
> My initial thoughts on possible topics are:
>
> - Intro to Tomcat 9 (the first milestone release is in progress as
>    I type this)
>
> - TLS virtual hosting with Tomcat 9
>
> - Generating TLS keys for Tomcat
>
> - HTTP/2 and Tomcat 9
>
> - Connector selection: BIO vs NIO vs NIO2 vs APR
>
> - Proxy protocol choice HTTP vs AJP
>
> Other topics as requested by the users@ community.
>
> Presenters would be one of the Tomcat committers. Obviously, I'm happy
> to do these but I hope some of my fellow committers will agree to do
> some presentations as well.
>
> Thoughts, feedback, topic suggestions welcome.

I think it's a great idea, but like someone else mentioned, I believe that 10 minutes may
be a bit short for any of the above themes.

Additional suggestions for sessions :

- how to set up Tomcat so as to make upgrades easier

- the relationship between Tomcat and the Java Servlet Specification

- for sysadmins : how to set up Tomcat logging

- tools and formulas for tuning Tomcat for specific load scenarios

- when and how to generate heap dumps, and how to (roughly) interpret them