Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Heiko Petzsch <pe...@gts-systems.de> on 2007/01/10 16:48:20 UTC

debugging Servlets under Tomcat 5.5 on Windows XP

Hi,

I want to debug servlets running under Tomcat 5.5.20 (freshly
installed) on Windows XP, but I can't get the JVM to open the debug
port in order that Eclipse can attach to it (as verified by running
"netstat -a").

It seems to me that the documentation on how to enable debugging
is outdated:

- the FAQ "How do I debug a Tomcat application?" tells me to modify
2 environment variables JPDA_ADDRESS and JPDA_TRANSPORT,
and then to start Tomcat via the catalina.bat script - but this script isn't
supplied with the installation anymore. I added the environment variables
anyway and restarted the service, but that didn't help. Starting the service
as a console application didn't help either, btw..

- I tried adding "-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=
dt_socket,address=1044,server=y,suspend=n" to the Java Options
in the Monitor application tomcat5w.exe, but that didn't change
anything.

- the "Windows service HOW-TO" gives no specific hint on how to
enable debugging. Fiddling with different parameters without
knowning what the correct default parameters are doesn't look very
promising...

Now I'm running out of ideas - any help will be greatly appreciated !

Best regards, Heiko

---
Heiko Petzsch
GTS Systems & Consulting
Email petzsch@gts-systems.de

RE: debugging Servlets under Tomcat 5.5 on Windows XP

Posted by Heiko Petzsch <pe...@gts-systems.de>.
Hi Chuck,

> Use the .zip download rather than the .exe; all files are in the .zip
> version, but for whatever reason, several useful ones were left out of
> the .exe.

problem solved - thanks for the hint !

Heiko

---

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Heiko Petzsch [mailto:petzsch@gts-systems.de]
> Subject: debugging Servlets under Tomcat 5.5 on Windows XP
>
> - the FAQ "How do I debug a Tomcat application?" tells me to modify
> 2 environment variables JPDA_ADDRESS and JPDA_TRANSPORT,
> and then to start Tomcat via the catalina.bat script - but
> this script isn't supplied with the installation anymore.

Use the .zip download rather than the .exe; all files are in the .zip
version, but for whatever reason, several useful ones were left out of
the .exe.  It's much easier to debug when Tomcat is run with the scripts
rather than as a service.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.