Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> on 2002/07/12 15:35:44 UTC

Re: Is there a target release date for the VelocityStruts subproject?

On 7/12/02 4:47 AM, "Gabriel Sidler" <si...@teamup.ch> wrote:

> Ed Yu wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there is a target release date set for
>> VelocityStruts. If not, what is the list of things that needs to be done
>> for the first release?
>>

> No, there has not been set a date.
>
> From my point of view there are a few things that I'd like to happen
> in order to move towards a 0.X release.
>
> - Feedback from a number of people that have used the software
> successfully (several people have already reported back, I myself
> am involved in two projects that use VelocityStruts. Who else?)
>
> - Complete the documentation. I'd say it's about 50% complete. Several
> sections need to be added/finished. I already have written some more
> documentation that I havn't committed yet.
>
> - A second example application struts-velocity-blank.war (basically
> the struts-blank.war application distributed with Struts adapted to
> support Velocity. This can serve as an easy starting point for people's
> own projects)
>
> - A binary distribution of the package to make it easier for people
> to get started. (all this takes is some ant scripting)
>

> How does this sound to everybody?

Is everyone happy with the toolbox stuff?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.

[Veltools] Re: ParameterParser Was: Is there a target release date for the VelocityStrutssubproject?

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Claude said:
> 1/
> I did not catch why ParameterParser was not a ViewTool. Is it because
> Struts can't give away access to the servlet context ?

it is currently not a ViewTool because the ViewTool interface did not exist
when I first wrote the class, and Gabe had some concerns about performance
(which i hope have been assuaged :-).  The patch i submitted to the list a
little while back would turn the ParameterParser into a ViewTool and greatly
simplify its use (you would no longer need to pass in $request for every
call to it).  The ParameterParser is not a part of the struts tools package,
and indeed has not at all tied to struts (though i have found my versi.

> 2/
>why not include a generic getter
> that would allow "dotted" vtl referencement of parameters, a la
> "$query.myparam", with something like :
>     public void get(String key) {
actually, i've had similar thoughts myself.  i almost added this to my
recent patch but didn't for some reason i can't think of now.   oh wait, i
think i didn't like the redundance of get() and getString() doing the same
thing and didn't want to get rid of the more explicit getString().  as i
think about it, i suppose it is sufficiently implicit that query string
values are indeed strings.  i suppose a plain get() would do fine, and it
would certainly be convenient when using the ParameterParser in templates.
perhaps i'll resend my patch with that alteration (and hope the powers that
be will someday commit it :-).

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com

Re: Is there a target release date for the VelocityStrutssubproject?

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@savoirweb.com>.
two remarks about the ParameterParser :

1/
I did not catch why ParameterParser was not a ViewTool. Is it because Struts can't give away access to the servlet context ? (sorry,
I'm not [yet?] very aware of Struts, maybe 'cause I like lightweight tools rather than heavy multipurpose frameworks).

2/
(supposing that the response to 1/ is that it would be possible for the ParameterParser to access the servlet request at some
initialization time)

since most of the time parameters are strings (or string numbers that will have a chance to be converted back to numbers anywhere in
higher layers in the controller, where this conversion should be more accurate than in the view), why not include a generic getter
that would allow "dotted" vtl referencement of parameters, a la "$query.myparam", with something like :

    init method
    {
        Enumeration params = request.getParameterNames();
        while (params.hasMoreElements()) {
            String param = (String)params.nextElement();
            String values[] = request.getParameterValues(param);
            if (values.length == 1) innerMap.put(param,values[0]);
            else  innerMap.put(param,Arrays.asList(values));
        }
    }

    public void get(String key) {
        return innerMap.get(key);
    }

CloD

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.

Posted by Gabriel Sidler <si...@teamup.ch>.
Claude Brisson wrote:

>>Is everyone happy with the toolbox stuff?
>>

> Are we speaking of the veltools subproject, or of the velstruts subsubproject ?
>
> (release grannulosity annoying question ?)
>
> ;-)

My "action plan" was referring just to the VelocityStruts project.
I'd propose that we have separate releases for VelocityStruts,
VelocityLibrary and VelocityServlet, since each of these projects
can be used more or less independently of the others.

Like Nathan, I feel most comfortable with the state of the
VelocityStruts project. The other two are less mature at the
moment, IMO.

So, if nobody objects, I push ahead towards a 0.X release of the
VelocityStruts package.

Gabe

--
Gabriel Sidler
Software Engineer, Eivycom GmbH, Zurich, Switzerland

Re: Is there a target release date for the VelocityStrutssubproject?

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@savoirweb.com>.