Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2012/11/04 16:14:41 UTC

Release Rat ...? [WAS Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin]

On 09/23/12 21:29, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Hi

(Just trying to pick up where we are on this...)

> In RAT-78 there is a request to upgrade to a newer version of Doxia.
> That is a reasonable request given the fact that the current version we
> are using is 1.0-alpha-8 which is *really* old.

+1

> Now, in order to decide which version of Doxia to use we need to first
> define the minimum version of Maven we want to support. Currently our
> plugin requires Maven 2.0.6 which came out in 2007. Over in Maven land
> we currently target Maven 2.2.1 as the minimum version for our plugins.
>
> The reason for this question is because different versions of Maven
> comes with different versions of Doxia. This is an unfortunate hard
> connection between the two, but starting with Maven 3 there are no
> longer any direct dependencies on Doxia in Maven core. See this wiki
> page for some history in the matter:
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Doxia+Release+Plan
>
> We really only have two choices:
>
> 1. Require Maven 2.0.11 and use Doxia 1.0.x
>
> 2. Require Maven 2.1.0+, which in reality means Maven 2.2.1 due to
> technical reasons I won't go into here, and use Doxia 1.1+
>
> Unless anyone has strong objections I plan on going with option 2 here.

+1

AIUI Dennis has applied [1] and [2] (thanks :-)

Does it make sense to start working towards a new release...?

Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-78
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-119

Re: Rat 0.9 TODO [WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/24/12 00:40, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-21 21:59, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>> How close are we now...?
>
> We're there.
> I've update a few Maven plugins to fix a few problems with the build.

:-)

>> Consensus seems to be that this is good enough for now
>
> I agree.

:-)

>> How much is left to do...?
>
> All done.

:-)

>> I've reworked and published to
>> http://creadur.apache.org/rat/site-publish.html
>
> I took it for a test drive and made a few minor tweaks.

:-)

Robert

Re: Rat 0.9 TODO [WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Rat 0.9 TODO [WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/06/12 20:45, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-06 21:28, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> On 11/04/12 16:52, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>> On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Yes, I think so.

How close are we now...?

>>> I have these things left on my todo list:
>>>
>>> A. Rewrite site for core module, which is now in JIRA as RAT-123

Consensus seems to be that this is good enough for now

>>> B. Add xml schema to assembly descriptors and site descriptors, so that
>>> they can be validated

How much is left to do...?

Re: [WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2012-11-06 21:28, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 11/04/12 16:52, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> On 09/23/12 21:29, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>> Does it make sense to start working towards a new release...?
>>
>> Yes, I think so. I have these things left on my todo list:
>>
>> A. Rewrite site for core module, which is now in JIRA as RAT-123
>> B. Add xml schema to assembly descriptors and site descriptors, so that
>> they can be validated
>> C. Rewrite src/site/apt/site-publish.apt, given that we're not in the
>> incubator any more
>>
>> - Robert has assigned A to himself.
>
> I've regenerated the Rat subsite with the beginnings of some content for
> core[1]. Feedback welcomed :-)

Looks good to me.

> One of the problems posed by improving the documentation is that Rat
> core really needs a good refactor into a much simpler and conventional
> design. This would probably mean adding more integration tests before
> starting.
>
> There a balance that needs to be struck between better documentation
> about the current mess, and moving towards a more reasonable design.
>
> Opinions? Suggestions?

For now the documentation for Rat core is good enough. At least it is
about Rat core now :)

Going forward we can improve the docs as needed if/when a refactoring
takes place.

--
Dennis Lundberg

[WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Improved Site Publication Documentation [WAS Re: Switch to maven-scm-publish-plugin]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/18/12 19:33, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-18 11:01, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> Any objections to me switching the rat build to use
>> maven-scm-publish-plugin for site generation and updating the
>> documentation?
>
> No objections from me. Go ahead.

documented here:

   http://creadur.apache.org/rat/site-publish.html

feedback welcomed :-)

Robert

Re: Switch to maven-scm-publish-plugin [WAS Re: Maven SCM Publish Plugin] ...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/18/12 19:33, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-18 11:01, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> Any objections to me switching the rat build to use
>> maven-scm-publish-plugin for site generation and updating the
>> documentation?
>
> No objections from me. Go ahead.

Taking a look now...

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Switch to maven-scm-publish-plugin [WAS Re: Maven SCM Publish Plugin] ...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Re: Maven SCM Publish Plugin WAS Re: Release Rat ...? [WAS Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin]]

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/11/17 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:
> On 11/15/12 22:03, Olivier Lamy wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> I've given it a spin, and it seems to work okay. Takes a while, but then
>>> so
>>> does CMS upload. There seem to be a lot of commit messages.
>>>
>>> Is this a known limitation, or am I doing something wrong...?
>>
>> no and no :-)
>

> :-)
>
>> javadoc files can be timestamped so recommitted again with site build
>> even if no real content change.
>> maven generated files too but only at day level whereas javadoc seconds
>> level.
>

> So... would setting notimestamp on the javadoc plugin be a good idea...?
Sure !

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/15/12 22:03, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> 2012/11/15 Robert Burrell Donkin<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:

>> <snip>

>>> I use it for Apache projects (Archiva, Directmemory, helix incubator)
>>> and works fine.
>>

>> I've given it a spin, and it seems to work okay. Takes a while, but then so
>> does CMS upload. There seem to be a lot of commit messages.
>>
>> Is this a known limitation, or am I doing something wrong...?
> no and no :-)

:-)

> javadoc files can be timestamped so recommitted again with site build
> even if no real content change.
> maven generated files too but only at day level whereas javadoc seconds level.

So... would setting notimestamp on the javadoc plugin be a good idea...?

Even if some tuning is still needed, the plugin seems an improvement to
the process described in the current documentation[2]. Any objections to

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/11/6 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:
> On 11/06/12 20:08, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>
>> On 2012-11-05 21:42, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/04/12 16:52, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>

> <snip>

>>> What's the current state of play wrt Maven ->  Apache CMS integration...?
>>

>> There is a plugin called "Maven SCM Publish Plugin" [1], of which
>> version 1.0-beta-2 has just been released. The purpose of it is to
>> publish a Maven generated site to any supported SCM, such as the ASF new
>> svnpubsub model for publishing sites. I haven't tried it myself yet.
>>
>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-scm-publish-plugin/
>

> Anyone have a few cycles to give this a try?
I use it for Apache projects (Archiva, Directmemory, helix incubator)
and works fine.
Let me know if you need some help on this part.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Release Rat ...? [WAS Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/04/12 16:52, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> Does it make sense to start working towards a new release...?
>
> Yes, I think so. I have these things left on my todo list:
>
> A. Rewrite site for core module, which is now in JIRA as RAT-123
> B. Add xml schema to assembly descriptors and site descriptors, so that
> they can be validated
> C. Rewrite src/site/apt/site-publish.apt, given that we're not in the
> incubator any more
>
> - Robert has assigned A to himself.

I wrote some stuff at the weekend, but then accidentally deleted tonight
(Doh!)

> - I'll take care of B tonight.

:-)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 09/23/12 21:29, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Hi
>
> (Just trying to pick up where we are on this...)
>
>> In RAT-78 there is a request to upgrade to a newer version of Doxia.
>> That is a reasonable request given the fact that the current version we
>> are using is 1.0-alpha-8 which is *really* old.
>
> +1
>
>> Now, in order to decide which version of Doxia to use we need to first
>> define the minimum version of Maven we want to support. Currently our
>> plugin requires Maven 2.0.6 which came out in 2007. Over in Maven land
>> we currently target Maven 2.2.1 as the minimum version for our plugins.
>>
>> The reason for this question is because different versions of Maven
>> comes with different versions of Doxia. This is an unfortunate hard
>> connection between the two, but starting with Maven 3 there are no
>> longer any direct dependencies on Doxia in Maven core. See this wiki
>> page for some history in the matter:
>>
>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Doxia+Release+Plan
>>
>> We really only have two choices:
>>
>> 1. Require Maven 2.0.11 and use Doxia 1.0.x
>>
>> 2. Require Maven 2.1.0+, which in reality means Maven 2.2.1 due to
>> technical reasons I won't go into here, and use Doxia 1.1+
>>
>> Unless anyone has strong objections I plan on going with option 2 here.
>
> +1
>
> AIUI Dennis has applied [1] and [2] (thanks :-)

You're welcome :-)