Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Ryan Christianson <ry...@echospace.com> on 2003/05/13 01:22:56 UTC

scalability issue multiple portlet object instances

I am curious about the scalablity of the porlet cache. Based on what I
have read in the tutorial
(http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/JetspeedTutorial.htm) and bits
of source code, it seems that currently the choices are:

1. Have 1 portlet object in the cache for each psml entry, there by
allowing each user able to have more then 1 portlet instance. (
getHandle() returns page+psml_id)

2. Have 1 portlet object in the cache for each portlet type, but only
being able to have 1 portlet instance per user. (getHandle returns
portlet name)

3.  Recreate portlet object each time it is needed. (don't allow the
portlet object to be cached)

4. Cache portlet based on parameters set on the portlet.

5. Cache portlet based on the "URL" parameters

For my situation 2 is not an option. 1,3 and 4 are not scaleable. 5 is
only really useful for rss/webservice portlets.

Is there any other available solutions?

Thanks.

Ryan Christianson

Re: scalability issue multiple portlet object instances

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Ryan Christianson wrote:
> I am curious about the scalablity of the porlet cache. Based on what I
> have read in the tutorial
> (http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/JetspeedTutorial.htm) and bits
> of source code, it seems that currently the choices are:
>
> 1. Have 1 portlet object in the cache for each psml entry, there by
> allowing each user able to have more then 1 portlet instance. (
> getHandle() returns page+psml_id)
>
> 2. Have 1 portlet object in the cache for each portlet type, but only
> being able to have 1 portlet instance per user. (getHandle returns
> portlet name)
>
> 3.  Recreate portlet object each time it is needed. (don't allow the
> portlet object to be cached)
>
> 4. Cache portlet based on parameters set on the portlet.
>
> 5. Cache portlet based on the "URL" parameters
>
> For my situation 2 is not an option. 1,3 and 4 are not scaleable. 5 is
> only really useful for rss/webservice portlets.
>
> Is there any other available solutions?

What does the portlet content depend of? I would say the alternatives
given cover all possibilities except "each call to each portlet instance
produces random content", and in this case caching is not really useful.

In this case you can scale by offloading the portlet logics to a
different (cluster of) machines, kind of a webservice, XML producing
servlet, whatever, and limiting the portlet role to storing the
parameters and transform/aggregate the output into markup.

> Thanks.
>
> Ryan Christianson

Santiago Gala
High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com)