Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Anup Kumar V <an...@inapp.com.INVALID> on 2020/04/17 09:18:22 UTC

Latest Lucene Version

Hi,

We are working on a project where we are planning to implement a
distributed architecture using Lucene. For this, we planned to use NCache
and in their site, we found that NCache is using the 4.8 version of Lucene.

https://www.alachisoft.com/resources/docs/ncache/prog-guide/lucene-ncache.html

But we do not see a stable release of 4.8 and it is still in Beta.

https://lucenenet.apache.org/download/download.html
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://lucenenet.apache.org/download/download.html&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1587200809600000&usg=AFQjCNGArcQFmhRr186IWw9UY8OK6I9l5A>

I would appreciate it if the following questions are clarified.

   1. Is there a stable version of 4.8 available?
   2. When will this be available?
   3. Shall we go ahead with NCache and use Lucene 4.8 beta for Production
   deployment?

Thanks,
Anup Kumar V
Principal Systems Analyst

*InApp Information Technologies*
121-Nila, Technopark, Trivandrum, India
Phone: +91 (471) 2527270; Mobile: +91 9447525263

RE: Latest Lucene Version

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Anup,

Thanks for the inquiry.

While I am not familiar with NCache, I can see on their prerequisites section the following 2 conditions:
https://www.alachisoft.com/resources/docs/ncache/prog-guide/lucene-ncache.html#pre-requisites

1. Install the Lucene.Net.NCache NuGet package
2. Make sure that your application is not using any native Lucene DLL/Reference.

The Lucene.Net.NCache NuGet package contains the following DLLs:

DistributedLucene.Net.Analysis.Common.dll
DistributedLucene.Net.dll
DistributedLucene.Net.Queries.dll
DistributedLucene.Net.QueryParser.dll
DistributedLucene.Net.Sandbox.dll

These relate directly to the Lucene.Net packages with similar names, however the documentation says there are some differences in APIs. These are the main packages of Lucene.NET, but are only a subset of the 26 official Lucene.NET packages (https://github.com/apache/lucenenet#all-packages-1). Depending on your requirements, this subset may or may not be adequate.

The second condition makes it sound as if you cannot mix these DLLs with the official ones. For clarification on what you are supposed to do if this subset of Lucene.NET does not meet your needs, you will need to contact Alachisoft.

1. There is currently no stable version of Lucene.NET 4.8.0 available. We are still tracking down performance bottlenecks, and the APIs will also have some breaking changes before the production release. However, all known crashes and most cross-platform issues have been addressed, and it is generally considered stable enough to be used in most production scenarios.
2. As this project is maintained by volunteers who work in their spare time, we cannot provide an exact release date. But our current estimates are around 700-800 hours of work remaining to completion.
3. See above. Best guess is no, but you will need to contact Alachisoft to be sure.

Regards,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)
Project Charperson - Apache Lucene.NET