Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tom Amon <ta...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/25 02:12:45 UTC

Auditing system clocks

I've read in the docs and papers that LinkedIn has an auditing system that
correlates message counts from tiers in their system using a time window of
10 minutes. The time stamp on the message is used to determine which window
the message falls into.

My question is how do you account for clock drift between machines? Is it
assumed that clocks are in sync?

Thanks.

Re: Auditing system clocks

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
It is assumed that clocks are in sync, we use ntp and it mostly works.

-Jay