Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> on 2009/12/27 23:23:08 UTC

Re: Maven POM dependencies in a portal project - provided not enough at compile time

Could you please state where in the Def Guide you read about pom
dependencies? Is it possible that you're talking about the import scope and
referencing a pom as also described in this blog post:
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/10/maven-tips-and-tricks-grouping-dependencies/

/Anders

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Please ignore my last mail regarding the import scope. Not sure what went on
in my head writing that...:-)
However, do have a look at the blog post I linked to. I think this is what
you're talking about.

What I think is wrong in your poms, is that in the "grouped" poms you should
declare the dependencies as compile. Then you declare a dependency in your
project of the grouped pom with the provided scope. It should work fine.

One thing to understand is that the dependencies end up on the wrong level
in the dependency hierarchy. Normally not a problem, but it could affect
version resolution.

/Anders

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Once you know the answer, the matrix is accurate but it is too
convoluted to be read by someone who does not know the answer already.

Each of the scopes (except for import) affects transitive dependencies
in different ways, as is demonstrated in the table below. If a
dependency is set to the scope in the left column, transitive
dependencies of that dependency with the scope across the top row will
result in a dependency in the main project with the scope listed at the
intersection. If no scope is listed, it means the dependency will be
omitted.

might be written as follows:

"Each of the scopes affects transitive dependencies in different ways.
The table below describes the rules. If a dependency in the higher level
pom is set to the scope in the left column and the transitive
dependencies of the lower level pom are set to the scopes named at the
top of other column, this will result in a dependency with the derived
scope listed in the cell at the intersection. If no scope is listed, it
means the dependency will be omitted.
For example, if the project pom declares a dependency on a group pom
with a scope of "provided" and the group pom includes a jar with scope
"compile", the resulting scope for that jar will be "provided".
Of course, "import" scope does not participate in transitive dependencies."

If it is possible to colour the table or apply fonts so that header
columns and rows are more clearly marked, that would also help.

Thanks for all the help. My test project compiles and produces a 27K war
file instead of a 21Mb war.
Once I get the other 20+ projects fixed up and tested, I will have a
much quicker portal startup and some relief from the Java equivalent of
dll-hell.

It also should make starting a new project much easier since the
dependencies are now grouped much more sensibly.

I just hope it runs after it is deployed.

Ron

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Ron Wheeler <
rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> Anders Hammar wrote:
>
>> It should work if you specify scope of 'provided' on the grouping pom
>> dependency.
>>
>> /Anders
>>

> To clarify your point, I understand that I should do the following:
> In the project pom.xml that creates the war file, I should reference the
> shared pom as
>     <dependency>
>         <groupId>com.artifact_software.lms</groupId>
>         <artifactId>lms-pom-shared</artifactId>
>         <version>1.7.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         <type>pom</type>
>     </dependency>
> which will give it compile scope

This should have <scope>provided</scope>.

> In the lms-pom-shared pom.xml, I should reference the dependencies as
>        <dependency>
>           <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
>           <artifactId>commons-logging</artifactId>
>           <version>${commons-logging.version}</version>
>           <scope>provided</scope>
>       </dependency>

This should have <scope>compile</scope>

Re: Maven POM dependencies in a portal project - provided not enough at compile time

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.