Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Maciej Jaros <ma...@mol.com.pl> on 2013/03/05 14:02:13 UTC

[writer] Bullets with icons on the side of a whole paragraph

Hi.

I'd like create a style for a paragraph that would automatically add an
icon on the side of a paragraph.

So far I've managed to create a paragraph style and a numbering style
and associate them. Currently I use numbering with text
("Note"/"Warning"), but I would like to use icons. Problem is when I use
icons that are larger then the first line height then the icon
effectively splits the paragraph.

Not sure if I can attach pictures here so I'll try text art ;-).

Current behavior:
#####  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing
# i #
#####
elit. Fusce bibendum felis ut nisi placerat vehicula
aliquam risus dignissim. Aenean dolor risus, ultrices
ut ornare ac, lobortis sit amet enim. Proin vehicula
justo quis nisi gravida vel tristique ligula ornare.

What I would like to achieve:
#####  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing
# i #elit. Fusce bibendum felis ut nisi placerat vehicula
##### aliquam risus dignissim. Aenean dolor risus, ultrices
ut ornare ac, lobortis sit amet enim. Proin vehicula
justo quis nisi gravida vel tristique ligula ornare.

So can this be done at all with graphical bullets and if not can it be
done by styling or in any automated way?

Regards,
Maciej/Nux.

Re: [writer] Bullets with icons on the side of a whole paragraph

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 14:02:13 +0100
Maciej Jaros <ma...@mol.com.pl> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'd like create a style for a paragraph that would automatically add an
> icon on the side of a paragraph.
>
> So far I've managed to create a paragraph style and a numbering style
> and associate them. Currently I use numbering with text
> ("Note"/"Warning"), but I would like to use icons. Problem is when I use
> icons that are larger then the first line height then the icon
> effectively splits the paragraph.
>
> Not sure if I can attach pictures here so I'll try text art ;-).
>
> Current behavior:
> #####  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing
> # i #
> #####
> elit. Fusce bibendum felis ut nisi placerat vehicula
> aliquam risus dignissim. Aenean dolor risus, ultrices
> ut ornare ac, lobortis sit amet enim. Proin vehicula
> justo quis nisi gravida vel tristique ligula ornare.
>

> What I would like to achieve:
> #####  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing
> # i #elit. Fusce bibendum felis ut nisi placerat vehicula
> ##### aliquam risus dignissim. Aenean dolor risus, ultrices
> ut ornare ac, lobortis sit amet enim. Proin vehicula
> justo quis nisi gravida vel tristique ligula ornare.
>
> So can this be done at all with graphical bullets and if not can it be
> done by styling or in any automated way?

Try a Drop Cap in  the Paragraph style.  It might not be quite what you want, but with careful choice of the Font to drop you might get a satisfactory result.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [writer] Bullets with icons on the side of a whole paragraph

Posted by Maciej Jaros <ma...@mol.com.pl>.
Martin Groenescheij (2013-03-05 22:13):
> Even if it is not officially supported, you can trick the system by
> replacing one of the existing
> bullet types with your own.
> In Windows the directory of the bullets is:     C:\Program
> Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\share\gallery\bullets
> To use a specific bullet types you modify the type of bullet by
> pressing *F**11 *and select the Graphic tab.

I tried that (and that didn't work) but then I noticed that you can
choose a graphic enumeration type on the options tab and then you can
choose any graphic file (also PNG) to server as your bullet. BUT you
have to set height the same or smaller then the first line height. So...
not what I'm looking for. In my case I would have to be able to set a
floating style for the image.

Regards,

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.