Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2020/05/12 11:02:16 UTC

Potential blocker in 12.0 (and 11.3!)

Hi,

As discussed off-list with Geertjan and Eric, I was just testing the
Jenkins build of 12.0-beta4 before it was announced, and noticed a
potential blocker issue.  Interestingly, it's also in 11.3, but not in
11.2.

When importing settings from a previous install (which happens not to
have nb-javac or JavaFX installed), a dialog appears to install them
that gets stuck in a loop if you try to cancel it.  I think this
behaviour gets triggered in other ways too, that effectively make
those modules non-optional in some workflows.

It seems this was reported against 11.3 in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-3810.  I remember it at
the time, but it was marked minor and the emphasis was on the
certificate problem rather than the more serious issue that something
regressed between 11.2 and 11.3 that makes it (almost) impossible to
get out of the dialog loop without installing the supposedly optional
modules.

As of yet I haven't looked into what changed in the code that is
triggering this, but I don't think we should release 12.0 with this
issue.  I also haven't checked whether this forces the install on Java
14 yet, which would be even more problematic.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Potential blocker in 12.0 (and 11.3!)

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 18:12, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> What is your opinion on this, since you're one of very few who understands
> the scope of this problem: what would you recommend?

I've got a handle on the problems now, but not necessarily the causes!
 And delving around JIRA can be a dirty business. :-)

IMO, the simpler the better.  I've updated the initial PR with a
couple more slightly ugly changes that reserve the required flag for
the UI, but still let everything proceed on cancellation or failure.
JavaFX is now ticked by default in the wizards again.

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2135
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2135/files

Seems to also fix the issue with opening projects mentioned yesterday
in https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r7ce0738e6bcdfa37c7500ca4b4dc7c82104732d57c8c5cb6cb08bc02%40%3Cusers.netbeans.apache.org%3E

Be good to test if that's enough and we're happy with it for now.  It
doesn't stop the dialog with JavaFX and nb-javac showing up together -
that would be a bigger change - but at least it's cancellable.  12.1
could do with some major rethinking around this area.

As mentioned in the comment in the PR, I'd also like to know how to
launch with the debugger and exclude the extras cluster - am I missing
something obvious there?  Makes stepping through this rather difficult
as it bypasses the problem!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I don't see anyone arguing at this stage that this is not a blocker -- or
at least no one is saying it should not be fixed for 12.0.

What is your opinion on this, since you're one of very few who understands
the scope of this problem: what would you recommend?

Gj

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm still awaiting the INFRA ticket to be actioned, so I can get an Apple
certificate, but I tried building an installer for beta-4 locally (with a
random text file, in place of the certificate file):

./installermac.sh /Users/john/Downloads/netbeans-12.0-beta4-bin.zip
12.0-beta4 200523 "/Users/john/Apache/testCert.txt"

I got the following error:

+ ERROR_CODE=0

+ '[' 0 '!=' 0 ']'

+ ERROR_CODE=0

+ '[' 0 '!=' 0 ']'

+ '[' '!' -z ']'

+ mv
/Users/john/Apache/WIP/12.0-beta4/distpreparation/netbeans/installer/dist/installers/bundles
/Users/john/Apache/WIP/12.0-beta4/distpreparation/netbeans/installer/dist

+ rmdir
/Users/john/Apache/WIP/12.0-beta4/distpreparation/netbeans/installer/dist/installers

+ '[' '!' -z ']'

+ '[' '!' -z 1 ']'

+ rsync -avz
'/Users/john/Apache/WIP/12.0-beta4/distpreparation/netbeans/installer/nbbuild/installer/mac/newbuild/dist_en/*.dmg'
/Users/john/Apache/WIP/12.0-beta4/distpreparation/netbeans/installer/dist/bundles

building file list ... rsync: link_stat
"/Users/john/Apache/WIP/12.0-beta4/distpreparation/netbeans/installer/nbbuild/installer/mac/newbuild/dist_en/*.dmg"
failed: No such file or directory (2)

done

sent 29 bytes  received 20 bytes  98.00 bytes/sec

total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-54/rsync/main.c(996)
[sender=2.6.9]

+ ERROR_CODE=23

+ '[' 23 '!=' 0 ']'

+ exit 23

I'll investigate this tomorrow after work (might be that the test
certification file I'm using is the reason why its not working)...

We have at least a beta-5 and around another week or so of testing this,
correct?  Just want to make sure I have this resolved in time to avoid any
delays...

Regards

John

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Very nice, thank you!

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric/Geertjan,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,
 Sorry for the delay.  We are a bit late but what can we do against.

 The blocker was detected by Neil but Jaroslav first vetoed the changes (maybe I overinterpret that but -1 on PR looks like a veto). By the way Jaroslav change his mind. This fix is only a first step as far I know.

It's better to have maybe until Wednesday or Friday the beta running to avoid having to generate fix day one.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 20.05.2020, 09:08 +0100 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 12:02, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > .. I was just testing ... 12.0-beta4 ... and noticed a
> > potential blocker issue.
> > ..
> > When importing settings from a previous install a dialog appears to
> > install [JavaFX and nb-javac]
> > that gets stuck in a loop if you try to cancel it.
>
> OK, following up on this here, as requested by Geertjan.
>
> We have multiple possible blocking issues in play triggered by a
> change that has made the JavaFX download required by Java support
> (actually added in 11.3)
>
> The most critical in my opinion is an effective lockup of the IDE on
> first run when the user is unable to establish a network connection to
> download JavaFX (or nb-javac) support from osuosl.  We have multiple
> JIRA issues already reported against 11.3 for this (where the problem
> was introduced).

this is not true. The problem exist since the first release of Apache
NetBeans. nbjavac was required on all JDKs and is now required on JDK
8. It is by far "recommend", but required. So if nbjavac did not
magically reach the system of the user, it was downloaded. If I'm not
mistaken the same was true for the js parser, not sure when that was
replaced by the UPL licensed version.

With the addition of JavaFX the situation got a bit worse, but only
gradually. If we could just bundle our dependencies ...

The download for JavaFX comes from maven central (yes I know, that even
maven central is down at times).

From my perspective NetBeans works as well as for example a maven build
works, that has dependencies not yet present in a  local repository.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Potential blocker in 12.0 (and 11.3!)

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 14:17, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> It sounds like this nb-javac/javafx dialog is showing up in undesired
> places.
>
> I started 11.3 with a fresh userdir, did not enable anything, opened the
> Favorites window, double-clicked a JAR, and there that dialog was as well.

Yes, and some predate 11.3 - interesting one if you click on Java in
Tools / Options (first task, clean userdir, no settings import).  Wait
for ergonomics to kick in and reopen the dialog, then click on Maven
tab.

I understand why we have ergonomics, but given the number of headaches
it's caused, it's also my least favourite feature!

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 12:05, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 14:17, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> > It sounds like this nb-javac/javafx dialog is showing up in undesired
> > places.
>
> I made a minimal PR at https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2135
> This would stop the immediate issue of the dialog not being
> cancellable,

Just to clarify, for anyone not following the discussion on the PR,
why I think the cancellability of the dialog is the most serious
aspect of this, note we have multiple issue reports on JIRA around
network issues (proxies, firewalls, outage, etc.) with downloading
these components.

So, try this -

- Switch off your network connection
- Make sure you have lots of Java projects open in 11.3 (fairly normal)
- Open 12.0-beta4 with a clean userdir and click Yes to import settings.
- Figure out how to get out of it! :-)

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 14:17, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> It sounds like this nb-javac/javafx dialog is showing up in undesired
> places.

I made a minimal PR at https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2135
This would stop the immediate issue of the dialog not being
cancellable, but still isn't ideal, causes regressions elsewhere and
is not uncontroversial! :-)  Any thoughts on the right approach for
12.0 this late in?!

IMO, we should never have allowed JavaFX to become required rather
than recommended for Java enablement in 11.3.  Seems borderline
against ASF rules to me.

The addition in 11.3 for the above has the unfortunate side effect of
forcing nb-javac installation in a lot of scenarios, and given that
won't support Java 14 and other things have gone in to stop it being
recommended when running on Java 14, this negates all of that.

I don't know if others agree this is a blocker, and it's up to Eric in
the end, but I would personally certainly -1 the release with this
behaviour as is.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Well, maybe its a bit weasly as a solution, but we could make the argument
that since 12.0 is an LTS, we could say that we don’t support this kind of
scenaio. I.e., an LTS implies a new major release — a fresh blank page. And
in the meantime we’d work on fixing this for 12.1 and later, maybe
backported to 12.0.

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.