Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Shlomi Fish <sh...@vipe.stud.technion.ac.il> on 2002/11/13 12:51:26 UTC

Public Hosting

Is it possible for Collab.Net to supply a public hosting service for
Subversion repositories like SourceForge, BerliOS and friends or
BitMover's BKBits.net? I know I sure would like to use Subversion for my
projects and cannot because I don't have a net-wide repository.

I think it will contribute a lot of users to Subversion, and eventually
greatly speed up its development (see Eric Raymond's "The Cathedral and
the Bazaar"). I think Subversion is already very usable as it is. Even if
it has some bugs, users can make use of it now, and so will be able to see
how great it is.

Let's put the SVN development into the next gear!

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Re: Public Hosting

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Shlomi Fish <sh...@vipe.stud.technion.ac.il> writes:
> Is it possible for Collab.Net to supply a public hosting service for
> Subversion repositories like SourceForge, BerliOS and friends or
> BitMover's BKBits.net? I know I sure would like to use Subversion for my
> projects and cannot because I don't have a net-wide repository.
>
> I think it will contribute a lot of users to Subversion, and eventually
> greatly speed up its development (see Eric Raymond's "The Cathedral and
> the Bazaar"). I think Subversion is already very usable as it is. Even if
> it has some bugs, users can make use of it now, and so will be able to see
> how great it is.

CollabNet unfortunately doesn't have unlimited resources :-), and we
don't really have the server space or sysadmin time to spare for this.

But anyone with a server at a static IP could do this, it doesn't have
to be CollabNet.  Are there any other organizations you could ask?
(How expensive are static IPs in Israel?)

Maybe a friend with a server would want to do this for you, or do it
for everyone as a public service, especially if you volunteered to do
all the software setup and Subversion-related maintenance.

-K