Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Elliot West <te...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/03 14:41:21 UTC

Securing secrets for S3 FileSystems in DistCp

Hello,

We're currently using DistCp and S3 FileSystems to move data from a vanilla
Apache Hadoop cluster to S3. We've been concerned about exposing our AWS
secrets on our shared, on-premise cluster. As  a work-around we've patched
DistCp to load these secrets from a JCEKS keystore. This seems to work
quite well, however we're not comfortable on relying on a DistCp fork.

What is the usual approach to achieve this with DistCp and is there a
feature or practice that we've overlooked? If not, might there be value in
us raising a JIRA ticket and submitting a patch for DistCp to include this
secure keystore functionality?

Thanks - Elliot.

Re: Securing secrets for S3 FileSystems in DistCp

Posted by Elliot West <te...@gmail.com>.
Hi Larry,

Thank you for the JIRA link and description. This is appears to be very
relevant to what we're trying to achieve. I'll have a read and try it out.

Elliot.

How to know when the sort phase starts

Posted by siscia <si...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi all,

for research purpose (we are working to know the completion time of an
hadoop computation, if you are interested feel free to shoot me an
email) I want to know when the sort phase starts for every reducers.

Without writing any code is possible to know when the sort phase start?
This information is logged anywhere?

I tried to look into the standard hadoop logs but I haven't found
anything; it is possible that the information is actually there, but
given the mole of noise I wasn't able to find it.

Thanks for your help

Simone

How to know when the sort phase starts

Posted by Elliot West <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

We have IAM users, each with their own sets of keys. Could you explain how
I can use roles in this situation?

Elliot.

Posted by Shekhar Sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.