Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Mark Snow <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2008/07/03 01:14:19 UTC

kmeans inital cluster selection

I was looking through the kmeans code. As I recall, a good way to pick the inital cluster positions is to choose random data points. Is there an easy way to do 'randomly select N records' in map reduce?

Re: kmeans inital cluster selection

Posted by Miles Osborne <mi...@inf.ed.ac.uk>.
why not just have N distinct keys and within the mapper, assign each item
one of these keys (chosen randomly)

Miles

--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.