Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/01/23 06:33:56 UTC

[Signing] New component for code signing

All,

As you may know, the ASF has been using a code signing service for a
number of years provided by Symantec. We use it to sign Commons Daemon
Windows binaries.

The code signing service has a web based GUI and a SOAP based API.
Tomcat has written an Ant task to use the SOAP API and Sling has taken
this used and used it as the basis for a Maven plug-in.

Currently, the Ant task is hosted within the Tomcat codebase and the
Maven plug-in within Sling. Both communities would like to move this to
a better home where it can more easily be re-used by other Apache
projects and other organisations using Symantec's code signing service.

After some thought and discussion, we (Robert Munteanu and I) would like
to propose this code signing component as a new component at Commons.
Our reasons for this are as follows:

- The code is written in Java
- It is a relatively small component
- It is a utility likely to be of interest to multiple Apache projects
- If it is going to be re-used across multiple projects, it needs to be
  formally released and that requires a PMC

If accepted the plan would be:
- commit the original Tomcat code for the Ant task
- refactor it to allow re-use of code common to the Ant task and Maven
  plug-in
- add the Maven plug-in
- release it as a single JAR that provided both the Ant task and the
  Maven plug-in
- Ongoing review and maintenance (there are a couple of areas that could
  benefit from some improvement)

Thoughts? Comments?

Mark

Re: [Signing] New component for code signing

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2018-01-30 at 15:57 +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Well, there are plans by me. I would not invest time in a project
> nobody else can use…
>
> Maybe there can be some consensus on a common protocol.

Ah, sorry - I thought you meant the plans for this particular
submission.

There can be of course plans for server-side code signing components.

Thanks,

Robert

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Bernd,

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.

--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Mark,

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

I'd find such a plugin useful for Apache Chainsaw in the future. Any other
Java GUI apps at Apache could benefit as well.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Signing] New component for code signing

Posted by Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/18 22:08, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>>> Le 23/01/2018 à 07:33, Mark Thomas a écrit :
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Comments?
>>
>> +1

+1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 23/01/2018 à 07:33, Mark Thomas a écrit :

> Thoughts? Comments?

+1

I might even be able to contribute some elements I developed for my
jsign project [1]. jsign is able to sign Windows executables but using a
local signing certificate or a PKCS#11 token. It comes with an Ant task,
a Maven plugin, a Gradle plugin and also a command line tool.

Will the scope be limited to the Symantec signing service?

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://ebourg.github.io/jsign/