Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by subhash <su...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/25 17:56:13 UTC

A suggestion for Torque Implementation from a security standpoint ..

I have a suggestion regarding Torque.java..

I agree with the fact that while a Generic getProperty(dbName,property) is
great for flexibility, but it is not so great from a security perspective..

But, from what I see this added flexibility cannot be used unless there is
some change made to the way Torque implements its DBFactory. Some thing like
a lookup for a DBFactory, and then passing the configuration onto the
DBFactory will be one such implementation..

But even in such a case, the flexibility is still there, it is just that a
user cannot get all the properties of a given Database, using Torque.java,
which I think is an OK compromise.

I will give a little bit more context:

What I would like to do is write my own Class that implements Stratum
Configuration interface, and secure it so that it obtains the database
password information from a different source than a property file..

So, when I am running my application, I dont want any other application to
do a getPropery on a database password.. (I know that it can be secured, by
java security policies, but I just thought that information like that should
never be returned).

The same goes for Torque.getConfiguration().

I would suggest a simple change, so that the getProperty becomes private,
and implement simple accessor's that return the information from the
getProperty() method.

I am planning on making these changes to Torque's source code, before we
deploy it to production, so I can publish the changes if you desire..

Thanks, -Subhash.