Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2008/01/14 11:42:47 UTC

Re: wow.

Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> i've just browsed the zones demo. people are giving the poor server a
> jolly good beating. there's currently > 40 publications :)

On Friday it were about 200 or so, even though I had to restart the
server several times to deploy critical bugfixes :)

> problem is: the default (or soon-to-be "example") publication is all but
> invisible now.
>
> how about
>
> * hard-linking the example publication from the introduction.html
> content, to make sure it is always evident that people should play with
> this first?

Sounds good.

> * making it harder to create a new publication?

I have mixed feelings. I understand your concern, but OTOH this is IMO
the first feature many users will be looking for. Maybe we should rather
present a tutorial-like "Welcome" page to guide the unexperienced
visitor instead of our "Latest changes for development version
testers"?. I imagine something like this:

    1. Getting started: Browse the example publication

    2. Create your own page

    3. Create your own publication

    4. ...

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: wow.

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
>> * making it harder to create a new publication?
>
> I have mixed feelings. I understand your concern, but OTOH this is IMO
> the first feature many users will be looking for. Maybe we should rather
> present a tutorial-like "Welcome" page to guide the unexperienced
> visitor instead of our "Latest changes for development version
> testers"?. I imagine something like this:
>
>    1. Getting started: Browse the example publication
>
>    2. Create your own page
>
>    3. Create your own publication
>
>    4. ...

i have a feeling that most people will create a new publication before
they have looked at the example one, simply because it is the very first
interactive item on the page.

and all the recent breakage and problems were caused by the
createPublication usecase iiuc - this is a one-time-only, admin-only
convenience thing. it's not particularly robust and doesn't need to be.
but as it is now, it will dominate people's user experience. bad.

all i'm trying to do is direct people to the example pub *first*, and
then allow them to create their own. your list pretty much covers that
except for people who go "hey, a form field. let's type something and
submit it!". judging by zones, these are the majority ;)

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.