Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Spies, Brennan" <Br...@ejgallo.com> on 2008/09/16 20:28:50 UTC

Using repository with HTTP basic auth

Hi,

I am trying to set up a "quick and dirty" internal Maven repository on
Subversion. I've successfully deployed a few artifacts to the repository
using svn-wagon (https://wagon-svn.dev.java.net/), but I want to be able to
make these dependencies available to other developers with a minimum of fuss.
Unfortunately, our SVN server doesn't allow any read access without
credentials (user/password via HTTP basic auth)--something I can't
control--so I need to use a <repository> that can authenticate with HTTP
basic.

I've tried a few approaches (referring to a <servers> id from the
<repository>, using the svn-wagon plugin), but nothing has worked. Is there a
plugin or other approach I can use to do this?

Thanks,

Brennan

Re: Using repository with HTTP basic auth

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Why are you storing this in SVN?

I know that the java.net guys are using SVN because there are limits to how
their infrastructure is set up.

Far better is to just run nexus... 5 minutes and you'll have it set up

-Stephen

BTW I have no connection with nexus... unlike the sonatype guys... but I'd
still recommend it

Posted by "Spies, Brennan" <Br...@ejgallo.com>.
You can access SVN through straight-up HTTP, though there are dedicated
clients (your mileage may vary, depends on how you have SVN setup). Actually
I fixed the problem myself. Turns out that my settings.xml file was
incorrect; once I fixed this, the simple approach of pointing the id of my
<repository> in the POM to the id of my <server> with the username/password
worked just fine.

Yes, I should be using Nexus/Artifactory/Archiva, but I am very *constrained*
in my choices to a DEV WebSphere 6.1 server (I can't even put up a Tomcat
server, *sigh*). I tried the Artifactory war file on it...several bug fixes
later (and JIRAs and patches to the project), it still was not working for
me. I didn't have the time to try the same with Archiva (maybe sometime in
the future if they support WAS). Since I don't really need the proxy
functionality--my main goal is to have a repository for internal projects and
for third party libs that are not available on public mvn repositories--this
solution works fine for me, at least for now.

Thanks for the replies, though.

Posted by Lee Meador <le...@leemeador.com>.