Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> on 2003/06/06 21:13:30 UTC

Embedding HTML entities or unicode in format strings?

I'm trying to use the bean:write tag to format a date:

    <bean:write name="bean" property="dateProp" format="MM dd &rsquo;yy"/>

Unfortunately, the "&rsquo;" gets escaped by the tag and I end up with the
literal "&rsquo;" showing up in the browser. I've also tried embedding
unicode literal \u2019 to no avail.

So, I tried using a formatKey instead of a format string in the JSP, and
specifying the unicode character definitely seems to introduce a unicode
character into the output stream, but it does not get rendered as the quote
character I expected.

Any suggestions? I might just have to create my own tag to do this.

--
Rick