Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/25 21:00:48 UTC

What branches for what

Hi All,

May someone please write down in README.txt our workflow?

I just merged my HTTPCLIENT-2124 PR to master (2 approvals FTR) but it's
not clear to me that this was the right thing to do as opposed to merging
it to 5.0.x. My intent was to work on 5.0.x and if all went well there to
see if the same bug was in 4.x.

It's clear to me what the 4.5.x branch is for, that's where the 4.5.x dev
and release stream lives.

It's not clear to me what master is for now that there is a 5.0.x and 5.1.x
branch.

Thank you,
Gary

Re: What branches for what

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 6:09 PM Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-10-25 at 17:00 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > May someone please write down in README.txt our workflow?
> >
> > I just merged my HTTPCLIENT-2124 PR to master (2 approvals FTR) but
> > it's
> > not clear to me that this was the right thing to do as opposed to
> > merging
> > it to 5.0.x. My intent was to work on 5.0.x and if all went well
> > there to
> > see if the same bug was in 4.x.
> >
> > It's clear to me what the 4.5.x branch is for, that's where the 4.5.x
> > dev
> > and release stream lives.
> >
> > It's not clear to me what master is for now that there is a 5.0.x and
> > 5.1.x
> > branch.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Gary
>
> We have three active branches: 2 stable ones (4.5.x and 5.0.x) and one
> development (master). Bug fixes should go into all three branches where
> applicable. New features should go into the dev branch only. One should
> use `git cherry-pick` to apply the same fix from one branch to all
> others.

I've cherry-picked the fix to 5.0.x. The bug does not occur on 4.5.x, which
I verified by only porting the test.

Gary

Re: What branches for what

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.