Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ruel Loehr <ru...@jboss.com> on 2006/02/09 23:30:57 UTC

[m2] eclipse-plugin - attaching source jars, debugging, committing changes

I am exploring a development scenario using M2 within an IDE and would
like some thoughts on it.

The use case is a follows:

Given a multi module build with 2 modules, A and B.   B has a declared
dependency on A.  My repository has a snapshot of A as well as a
corresponding source jar.

A developer with an empty workspace checks out project B from version
control.    He builds it (against the A snapshot from the repository),
he encounters an error.   Because he has used the eclipse plugin, and
configured his pom's accordingly, the source in project A is linked, and
he can step through and debug it.

The developer finds an issue in project A which he would like to fix.
At this point I assume he would have to manually check out that project,
make the change, rebuild it, and then redeploy it with a new version
number (or just update the snapshot).

Is there not an easier way to address this?   Such as some sort of
mechanism which would attempt to check out project A from SCM if the SCM
information was defined in it's pom?

Does this make sense or sound theasible?

Ruel Loehr

JBoss QA

Re: [m2] eclipse-plugin - attaching source jars, debugging, committing changes

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
This is definitely a possibility. You'll find the IDE won't let you
edit the sources that was downloaded, but when it comes to checking it
out there are a few options.

1) we are planning something like "workspaces" in a future version
that will let you bootstrap projects and lay them out in your
filesystem and have the projects interact.

2) we could setup a mode where a dependency is built from source
checkout, though that doesn't really give you the opportunity to edit
that code easily as it happens during the build

3) we could simulate workspaces by creating a new project that used
the scm plugin to checkout/update a known set of projects

4) what you are doing now (checkout separately, edit, mvn install, change back)

I think this is definitely possible, but we should work through hte
workflow carefully to make it useful. IDE integration would help.

- Brett