Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net> on 2003/08/07 13:14:02 UTC

PNG and Windows HTML help file

Hi Subversion book editors!

I have one frequent problem with your PNG files: -Some of them shows up
as black squares in stead of pictures in the svn-doc.chm (the Windows
help file). I have some questions/suggestions:

-Can I correct the troublesome PNG-file(s) and send them to one of
 you, so one of you can approve and commit the file to the
 Subversion repository?
-Or can I correct the troublesome PNG-file(s) and commit them by
 myself (after checking that they looks good in both Linux and
 Windows)?

I don't know why some of the PNG files (only ch04dia1.png at the moment)
in the book turns in to black in compressed html file, but when I'm
indexing the files (from true colors to indexed colors), the files looks
good "everywhere".

Thanks.

Jostein

--

Jostein Chr. Andersen <jo...@josander.net> http://www.josander.net/

Public PGP Key:
Key: http://www.josander.net/pub_keys/jostein_josander.net.asc

Re: PNG and Windows HTML help file

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Thursday 07 August 2003 16.39, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net> writes:
> > Hi Subversion book editors!
> >
> > I have one frequent problem with your PNG files:
>
> So do I.  They're uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly! :-)
>
> > -Some of them shows up as black squares in stead of pictures in the
> > svn-doc.chm (the Windows help file). I have some
> > questions/suggestions:
> >
> > -Can I correct the troublesome PNG-file(s) and send them to one of
> >  you, so one of you can approve and commit the file to the
> >  Subversion repository?
>
> What does "correct" mean?  Loading and saving them with a tool known
> to produce PNGs that work with CHMs?

Oops, aimm spiiking bæd inglish (thinking adjust ("korrigere") in
Norwegian) ;-).

I mean adjust. And I mean producing PNGs that hopefully works with
everywhere.

> I'd prefer to see them before you check them.

Then I send one to you (Mike) within 5 minutes.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Friday 08 August 2003 01.00, Steven Brown wrote:
> Btw, the reason this happens is due to _really_ poor PNG support in IE
> (but not PocketIE or MacIE, go figure).  Truecolor transparent PNGs
> come out all black.  There's an IE-specific trick

Glad you said it (thanks :-). I have just checked the PNGs in diffrent
OSs and it turns out to be an OS (Windows) specific problem, not IE
problem.

I just realized that the r-4264 of ch04dia1.png shows as a black square
in IE 6.0 and explorer under WindowsXP and IE 4.0and Explorer under
Win98 too (well, it looks good in Opera and Acroreader (svnbook PDF
version) so they are probably using their own PNG libs).

This problems are probably fixed when the Subversion book at
svnbook.redbean.com are upgraded and when the next Windows distro rolls
out.

I will monitor the doc/book/book/images directory in the Subversion
repository for a while in case this problem shows up again.

Jostein

Posted by Steven Brown <sw...@ucsd.edu>.

(http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html), but it fails on
https:// addresses due to another IE bug.  Best solution is to just swap out
dithered, indexed, transparent PNGs when detecting x86/IE, or if the page is
static, just using such always.