Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Jeff Hair <je...@greenqloud.com> on 2016/04/14 13:40:37 UTC

Feature proposal: Resource naming policies

Yesterday, we submitted this pull request:

This originally grew out of making the VirtualMachineName class non-static
(original PR is mentioned in the above link). We're presenting this as a
refactoring of the existing code to enable more extensibility and
flexibility, make unit testing easier, and unify the way CloudStack
generates resource names.

There is an associated JIRA ticket at CLOUDSTACK-9003. I will be writing up
a design document for the CS wiki in the next few days.

jburwell wanted me to open a discussion on the developer list about the PR
and how it is implemented:

There is now a ResourceNamingPolicyManager and a bunch of
ResourceNamingPolicies. The manager exposes a method to get a policy for a
type of resource, and the naming policies generate UUIDs + resource names.

The default naming policies generate names exactly the same way as they are
created now. This is in a new module called default-naming-policies. By
excluding this module and loading our own naming policies, we gain the
ability to change how names are generated.

Re: Feature proposal: Resource naming policies

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
Awesome and long awaited!!!!

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@accelerite.com>.
Security group is one such feature as you have mentioned. Vm sync may get impacted if VM internal names are changed. Once all integration/regression tests are run additional things may come up.

I think it will be a good idea to have a wiki document describing all resource types that are impacted. Something like

Resource type | Existing naming convention | New naming policy/customization | features impacted
VM                   | i-xx-yy-VM                            | <new naming policy>                    | SG, Vmsync...
Volume            | ...                                          | ...                                                    | ...

Also there are display names and internal names. It will be good to call out what all can be customised and what cannot be with some justification.

-Koushik

Posted by Jeff Hair <je...@greenqloud.com>.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@accelerite.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
sounds usefull for companies that for instance want to enforce uuid in name
or include some user string in it, same would be true for networks. look
forward to your design.

--
Daan