Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Corneau Damien <co...@apache.org> on 2015/01/22 03:51:38 UTC

Including REST API for a few server calls

After using Zeppelin, and creating a few dashboard, I decided to try and
change one awful UX flow that we have: Notebook creation.

My problem is: When we create a new dashboard, you expect to be redirected
on that new dashboard (Because usually you don't create a dashboard to keep
it empty :) )

In our current state, we stay on the page we are, and we need to pick the
dashboard in its list to go on it. But because the dashboard name is quite
random, and that the new dashboard is never on top or bottom of the list,
somebody like me who doesn't often change his dashboards' name get lost
pretty quickly.

So why is that thread name totally unrelated to what I was talking about?

Simple, Zeppelin uses Websocket to communicate all the time, even on New
Dashboard.
Which means that in return, everybody gets a simple: 'This is your new list
of dashboards' message.
It obviously doesn't specify which dashboard was created either (because
that answer is also used for listing dashboards), so we can't really
redirect our user on that super cool empty dashboard :(

And because, we use Websocket for that kind of action, even if we wanted to
make a custom answer, everybody would be redirected to that new dashboard.
(While I found that hilarious, it wouldn't be practical)

So in the end, while it makes sense to update everybody's list of
Dashboards, there is still a few server calls that needs to have user only
response (on top of the Websocket event)

What do you guys think?