Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/10 17:39:45 UTC

[DISCUSS] Require Python 2 and 3 for gremlin-python

So - I did this PR:

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/594

it runs our tests against both Python 2 and 3 (since we've said we are
supporting both). Unfortunately, it doesn't quite do what I thought it was
doing - if you don't have python3 installed on your system locally it's not
as though it goes and gets it for you as part of the build. David Brown was
good enough to straighten me out there during code review.

Anyway, what I do have works well for the testing aspect of this issue, but
it does mean that we will need to require builders of gremlin-python to
have python 2 and 3 on their systems. Up until this point it was one or the
other. I think that requiring both makes sense since we have chosen to
explicitly support both versions. You really shouldn't modify the python
code and only test one python version (or the other) and issue a PR based
on that - that really doesn't make sense.

While this does raise the minimum barrier to building the project, it's not
a huge deal:

1. You can opt-out of building gremlin-python (i.e remove the .glv file) -
though you couldn't submit python based PRs
2. You can build with docker

Any concerns about this direction? I'll assume lazy consensus in 72 hours
unless there are objections and proceed with updating the PR with some
additional docs.

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: [DISCUSS] Require Python 2 and 3 for gremlin-python

Posted by David Brown <da...@gmail.com>.
I think that this is the right approach. Most Python developers should
have both Python 2 and 3 installed on their machines anyway, so it
shouldn't be a problem. I'll add some setup info to the developer docs
here within the next day or so to help people get going in case they
only have one version or another.

Dave

--
David M. Brown
R.A. CulturePlex Lab, Western University