Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Boex,Matthew W." <Ma...@cna.com> on 2002/05/06 17:55:07 UTC

mod_perl install from tarball

i am trying to install mod_perl and apache from tarball.  after untarring, i
created the makepl_args.mod_perl file in my home dir with my options.  by
the way, i am building this on a rh7.1 machine with mod_perl already
installed.  i am building this to learn.

anyhow, when i run perl Makefile.PL, i get this...

[boex@rootabega mod_perl-1.99_01]$ perl Makefile.PL
You are running Perl version 5.006
We strongly suggest to upgrade to at least 5.6.1
mod_perl/1.24_01 installation detected...not ok
cannot install mod_perl/1.99_01 on top of mod_perl/1.24_01
use MP_INST_APACHE2=1 option or to force installation delete:
 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/mod_perl.pm

first, i am running perl 5.6.0.  as the same user, i run perl -v and get..

[boex@rootabega boex]$ perl -v
This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux
Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall

second, is the version i downloaded, 1.99_01 only for apache 2.0?  are these
versions being split like apache 1.3 and 2.0, with and without threads?  if
so, should i download a different version?  if not, what route should i go
to install?

my goal is to install from scratch so i can learn more and to install with
the same directory structure, /usr/local/apache-mod_perl/ on my production
and dev machines.  i want to be able to run a mod_perl or non-mod_perl
enabled web server.

matt

Matthew Boex
Sendmail Group
312.822.3955

Re: mod_perl install from tarball

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Boex,Matthew W. wrote:
> i am trying to install mod_perl and apache from tarball.  after untarring, i
> created the makepl_args.mod_perl file in my home dir with my options.  by
> the way, i am building this on a rh7.1 machine with mod_perl already
> installed.  i am building this to learn.

you are trying to install mod_perl 2.0-tobe, which works only with
Apache 2.0, and most likely you want to download mod_perl 1.26 instead.

> my goal is to install from scratch so i can learn more and to install with
> the same directory structure, /usr/local/apache-mod_perl/ on my production
> and dev machines.  i want to be able to run a mod_perl or non-mod_perl
> enabled web server.

The detailed steps of how to do that are here:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html