Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com> on 2005/02/11 19:01:00 UTC

[vote] Re-vote for Derby docs in DITA

[ ] +1: Approve DITA adoption
[ ]  0: Abstain
[ ] -1: Keeping looking for other options

Sorry I forgot to include the voting options above in
my first call for a vote.  We need 3 positives for
adoption...

Thanks!
Jeff

Details on the vote for those who want an update:
We need to decide whether to use the DITA source files
for our documentation, or to continue to look for
other options.  Currently, we use html as our source.
This does not allow us to create PDF's, create single
html files for each document, or dynamically update
indexes.  DITA sourcing allows us to do that.  If you
navigate to the Manuals page of the Derby website,
you'll find a working sample PDF of the Getting
Started guide created from DITA source files.  We can
also recreate the html any way we want, or create
xhtml for use in an Eclipse-based infocenter.

Re: [vote] Re-vote for Derby docs in DITA

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> <snip />
>
>After my first foray into Forrest and working with (and building) the
>Derby website, I am very much in favor of this, as Forrest's
>performance on the hundreds of HTML files that currently constitute
>our manuals leaves more than a little something to be desired.
><snip />

Seeing is believing.  :-)
For the list, 'forrest site' of the derby website on a 350 Mhz box with
1 Gig memory takes a little over 30 minutes -- if nothing else is
running and competing for resources. Otherwise, it can take a whole lot
longer.

 -jean

Re: [vote] Re-vote for Derby docs in DITA

Posted by RPost <rp...@pacbell.net>.
+1

Posted by Brian Abbott <br...@dommoni.com>.
I think that the DITA adoption would be furthered if each site or
project that does adopt DITA offers a LDP style HOW-TO

Brian

Posted by Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com>.
> How do I use the DITA Docs? Is there a "DITA
> Reader"? What is the common
> way to read/view these documents?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Brian,

DITA is essentially an implementation of XML.  So DITA
files are just XML files using a specific dtd/schema.
You can view DITA, as well as any XML file, using XML
authoring software, such as XMLSpy, Epic, etc.  Those
cost money.  However, I am pretty sure there are free
XML authoring tools out there as well, anyone know of
any?

Whatever tool you use, you'll want to plug in the DITA
toolkit dtd's so that the authoring tool can validate
the DITA files you are working on.

More information on DITA, as well as how to output
DITA to PDF using FOP, and html using saxon, is
available on the Derby manuals page at:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html

I've done a lot of work with the DITA files myself, as
well as transforming them using saxon and FOP, so if
you have any more questions, please post by all means!

We still are playing with the xsl files, so if you or
anyone else has xsl knowledge and would like to
improve our pdf output, it would be appreciated by
all.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

RE: [vote] Re-vote for Derby docs in DITA

Posted by James Eacret <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
<de...@mylevita.com> wrote:
> [ ] +1: Approve DITA adoption

+1!

Posted by scott hutinger <s-...@wiu.edu>.
+1

The advantages are far too great to get a negative.
scott

Jeff Levitt wrote:

>[ ] +1: Approve DITA adoption
>[ ]  0: Abstain
>[ ] -1: Keeping looking for other options
>
>Sorry I forgot to include the voting options above in
>my first call for a vote.  We need 3 positives for
>adoption...

<snip>

Re: [vote] Re-vote for Derby docs in DITA

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Jeff Levitt wrote:
> [ ] +1: Approve DITA adoption
> [ ]  0: Abstain
> [ ] -1: Keeping looking for other options

Sorry for the delay, don't know much about DITA but it sounds like a
good idea.

+1

--
Jeremy

Re: [vote] Re-vote for Derby docs in DITA

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.
+1. Moving to DITA improves things... so...

Satheesh

Posted by Suresh Thalamati <su...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jean <jt...@bristowhill.com>.