Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jonathan Hawkes <jh...@adsnm.com> on 2003/11/14 17:33:43 UTC

ServiceManager and ComponentManager

Hey all!

Just a question out of curiosity.  Why is ComponentManager deprecated?  It appears that the only difference between the Component* API and the Service* API is the name.  So, why is "service" a better name for a component?

Thanks!
Jonathan Hawkes

Re: ServiceManager and ComponentManager

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Jonathan Hawkes wrote:
> Just a question out of curiosity.  Why is ComponentManager
> deprecated?  It appears that the only difference between the
> Component* API and the Service* API is the name.  So, why is
> "service" a better name for a component?

There's another (the only real) difference: ComponentManager references
the Component interface, whereas ServiceManager just references Object.
This allows you to use instances of classes as component even if they do
not implement Component.

We chose service as an alternative term to component. The two are
usually used interchangably throughout avalon.

cheers!

- LSd

RE: ServiceManager and ComponentManager

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
The ComponentXXX interfaces return objects implementing Component, while
the ServiceXXX interfaces just return Object. Means that you don't have
to implement Component all the time.

When we decided that Component was unneccessary and unwanted, we
couldn't
change the ComponentXXX interfaces as the change was
backwards-incompatible.
Thus - ServiceXXX interfaces.

/LS