Posted to wsrf-user@ws.apache.org by Nitin Nijhawan <nn...@in.ibm.com> on 2006/09/12 13:31:10 UTC

Query regarding Client Side stack

Hi,

I am using Apache WSRF implementation for developing some sample examples.
I found out that Apache WSRF does not provide any Client side stack which
can be used to generate SOAP Messages, Please correct me if I am wrong.
Apache WSRF only provides SOAPClient Ant Task which accepts SOAP Message
and transmits it to destination WebService. Do you have any plans to roll
it out in future releases? If not what else you suggest me to execute. Your
immediate response & help will be appreciated.

regards,
Nitin
IBM India Software Lab, IBM Software Group
Phone: +91-124-2834727 (direct)
Cell: +919810661814
email:nnijhawa@in.ibm.com
*If you think you can you can,
 If you think you cannot you cannot*

Re: Query regarding Client Side stack

Posted by Bruno Harbulot <Br...@manchester.ac.uk>.
Hi Nitin,

I think you're raising an interesting point, but I'm not sure what you
mean by "client side stack". What would be the features required for
such a stack?

I usually access WS-Resources via stubs generated from the WSDL for the
WS-ResourceProperty operations (or similar WSDL files that contain these
operations plus custom operations). From Java, I use Axis's wsdl2java
(not the Apache WSRF one, although I guess I could); from C, I use
gSOAP. These generate stubs that generate SOAP messages (I'm not sure if
it's what you're looking for).

Using this method, getting a ResourceProperty looks like:
    service.getResourceProperty(qname);

In this case, getResourceProperty is a stub-method just like any other
non-WSRF WSDL would have generated. It works, but it puts the burden of
type-casting the xmlbean (or equivalent) that you get to the client
programmer. SetResourceProperty presents similar problems: how is it
possible to make sure that the XML infoset sent to set the resource
property is of the right type for that property?

What kind of client stack are you looking for? I can see the room for a
layer of abstraction above that, but defining it is not straightforward.
Something could probably be done based on the Resource Metadata (in
fact, this is probably the aim of that work, but I haven't followed it):
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/19841/wsrf-ws_resource_metadata_descriptor-1.0-spec-pr-01.pdf
(To be honest, I haven't had time to look at it in detail.)

Would you expect something to provide you with a "bean-like" interface
to set and to get property values on your WS-Resources? (For example, if
"value" is one of the properties, would getValue and setValue help?)
I could see the use for such a model --- in particular with respect to
typing ---, but I'm not entirely convinced that's the right thing to do
in the general case. This would probably entail a few problems as well,
for example regarding resource lifetime or dependency to a particular
language or type of languages (just to name a few).

Does anybody know if there are tools in the making for providing stubs
augmented with resource metadata capabilities (whatever this expression
may encompass)?

Regards,

Bruno.