Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/01 22:53:03 UTC

[IMPORTANT][PLEASE-READ] Graduation tasks and git repo changes

Hi,

The ASF infra@ was super fast, as usual (or as expected :), dunno) and
most of the work is done on their side. The new git repos are create and
we are entrusted to do the migration ourselves.

Please note that:

1. The new brooklyn* repos are created and visible on the asf site [1]
2. The https://github.com/apache/brooklyn* mirrors are not yet
available, but they are expected to be online sometime after 0700 UTC.
3. We won't be able to rewrite history (force push), but since the new
git repos are empty there is no history, i.e. we have one shot at it! I
would suggest to plan and review the changes before the first push. Not
sure how we could organize this, but please be aware of it. The goal is
to 'rewrite history' and remove the old binaries from the repo.
4. The incubator-brooklyn repo is now read-only (or should be, didn't
try to push). We can deal with the 13 remaining PRs later.
5. Once we confirm everything being in order and properly advertised we
can remove the github mirror for incubator-brooklyn (which will remain
as r/o in the ASF history).

I volunteered us to take ownership of the Jenkins jobs [2], we can fix
those once the new repos are up.

no 'incubator' and all the subscriptions were preserved. You may want to
adjust your mail filters as necessary. We will also need to adjust the
site content in the coming days, all obvious and expected things, so
I'll stop rambling.

Hopefully we will be able to iron out all the kinks in the coming days
and keep the unavoidable disruption to a minimum. If you need immediate
help from me, you should also have my cell phone number. Please feel
free to use it.

Hadrian

[1] https://git.apache.org/

Re: [IMPORTANT][PLEASE-READ] Graduation tasks and git repo changes

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Given all the tasks and constraints looks like it's better to prepare
the repo split in the existing incubator-brooklyn.

For that reason, the incubator-brooklyn repo was made read/write again
by infra@. The new brooklyn* repos are also r/w, but please, please
don't push anything there until we are really ready.

This give us some time to move artifacts in the repo to match the new
structure (in dirs). We won't be able to (and we should not) alter the
history of incubator-brooklyn, i.e. remove the old, unused, large
binaries, it should be done in the new repos just before the first push.
I hope the migration will be tested by a few committers locally. We are
all PMC members, so any of us could do the first push. I would suggest
planning and coordinating this to avoid confusion or mistakes.

Thoughts?
Hadrian

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.