Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "J. Horner" <jh...@2jnetworks.com> on 2000/02/22 18:11:41 UTC

Mailing list vs Newsgroup

I think there is enough room for both, and if the people on the mailing
list don't want a connection to the newsgroup, then that sentiment needs
to be respected.  I think I could do with both for a wider reader base,
and therefore, a wider help base for newbies.  If there was a way to
digest the mailing list on the newsgroup with all emails removed, would
that be acceptable?  It is only for use by the people looking to see if
their question has already been answered.

Any other ideas?  I know I'm just a lurking newbie, but I think this is a
valid point.

J. Horner
jhorner@knoxlug.org http://jjhorner.penguinpowered.com/
12:05pm up 10 days, 16:18, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.14

Re: Mailing list vs Newsgroup

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, J. Horner wrote:

> I think there is enough room for both, and if the people on the
> mailing list don't want a connection to the newsgroup, then that
> sentiment needs to be respected.

Agreed.

> I think I could do with both for a wider reader base, and therefore,
> a wider help base for newbies.  If there was a way to digest the
> mailing list on the newsgroup with all emails removed, would that be
> acceptable?

I think it already exists.  It's called modperl.faqts.com but it's
fairly new and it don't think it does anything quite like that yet.

> It is only for use by the people looking to see if their question
> has already been answered.

People can search the mod_perl list to do that.  And read the Guide.

73,
Ged.

Nathan: have you been reading this thread and "modperl newsgroup"?

RE: Mailing list vs Newsgroup

Posted by "J. Horner" <jh...@2jnetworks.com>.
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Jason Bodnar wrote:

> I agree with you that there is room for both. I also like your idea of putting
> a digest of the mailing list on the newsgroup with emails stripped.
>
> But, anybody advocating a newsgroup should know that almost everyone of the
> regulars and experts who are on the mailing list will stay clear of the
> newsgroup. We all saw what happened to c.l.p.misc and I don't think anybody
> wants a moderated mod_perl newsgroup.

I'm not advocating both, only voicing my opinion.  I see what you mean,
though.  I hadn't thought of that.  Perhaps a newgroup would be a waste of
bandwidth. . .

J. Horner
jhorner@knoxlug.org http://jjhorner.penguinpowered.com/
12:25pm up 10 days, 16:38, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01

RE: Mailing list vs Newsgroup

Posted by Jason Bodnar <jb...@tivoli.com>.

On 22-Feb-00 J. Horner wrote:

> I think there is enough room for both, and if the people on the mailing
> list don't want a connection to the newsgroup, then that sentiment needs
> to be respected.  I think I could do with both for a wider reader base,
> and therefore, a wider help base for newbies.  If there was a way to
> digest the mailing list on the newsgroup with all emails removed, would
> that be acceptable?  It is only for use by the people looking to see if
> their question has already been answered.
>
> Any other ideas?  I know I'm just a lurking newbie, but I think this is a
> valid point.
>
> J. Horner
> jhorner@knoxlug.org http://jjhorner.penguinpowered.com/
> 12:05pm up 10 days, 16:18, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.14

---
Jason Bodnar + jbodnar@tivoli.com + Tivoli Systems

I strive for greatness but will settle for mediocrity. -- Jason Bodnar