Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/27 18:34:04 UTC

[VOTE] Metrics package for new clients

Hey all,

There was several previous discussions on metrics for the new clients but
I'm not sure had a unanimous consensus on the best approach. I'd put
forward the following options:
1. Plain vanilla JMX (no one actually wanted this, but for completeness...)
2. Improve on custom metrics package current on trunk
3. Coda Hale package

There are of course many other possibilities, but we didn't get a concrete
alternative so let's just vote on these and do one of them so we can keep
making progress.

For my part I am +1 for (2). I agree it is a bit of NIH, but I think the
advantages of the new code combined with the advantages of a no-deps client
are worth it.

-Jay

Re: [VOTE] Metrics package for new clients

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
The (2)'s have it. I will put up a patch using this approach.

-Jay

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1 on 2

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] Metrics package for new clients

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
+1 for (2)

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
+1 for (2)