Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Shrikant Patel <SP...@pdxinc.com> on 2017/03/07 00:38:06 UTC

Clarification on min.insync.replicas​

Hi All,

Need details about min.insync.replicas​ in the server.properties.

I thought once I add this to server.properties, all subsequent topic create should have this as default value.

C:\JAVA_INSTALLATION\kafka\kafka_2.11-0.10.1.1>bin\windows\kafka-topics.bat --zookeeper localhost:2181/chroot/cluster1 --create --topic test --partition 3 --replication-factor 3
Created topic "test".

C:\JAVA_INSTALLATION\kafka\kafka_2.11-0.10.1.1>bin\windows\kafka-topics.bat --zookeeper localhost:2181/chroot/cluster1 --describe --topic test
Topic:test      PartitionCount:3        ReplicationFactor:3     Configs:

No min.insync.replicas is set on the topic.

Why do I have explicit provide this configuratoin when creating topic? So whats the purpose of this in server.properties??

C:\JAVA_INSTALLATION\kafka\kafka_2.11-0.10.1.1>bin\windows\kafka-topics.bat --zookeeper localhost:2181/chroot/cluster1 --create --topic test --partition 3 --replication-factor 3 --config min.insync.replicas=3
Created topic "test".

C:\JAVA_INSTALLATION\kafka\kafka_2.11-0.10.1.1>bin\windows\kafka-topics.bat --zookeeper localhost:2181/chroot/cluster1 --describe --topic test
Topic:test      PartitionCount:3        ReplicationFactor:3     Configs:min.insync.replicas=3
        Topic: test     Partition: 0    Leader: 1       Replicas: 1,2,0 Isr: 1,2,0
        Topic: test     Partition: 1    Leader: 2       Replicas: 2,0,1 Isr: 2,0,1
        Topic: test     Partition: 2    Leader: 0       Replicas: 0,1,2 Isr: 0,1,2

Thanks
Shri

This e-mail and its contents (to include attachments) are the property of National Health Systems, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates, including but not limited to Rx.com Community Healthcare Network, Inc. and its subsidiaries, and may contain confidential and proprietary or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this e-mail or of its attachments, or the taking of any unauthorized action based on information contained herein is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized use of information contained herein may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution and penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by telephone at 800-433-5719 or return e-mail and permanently delete the original e-mail.

Re: Clarification on min.insync.replicas​

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 7, 2017, at 12:18 PM, James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 7, 2017, at 7:44 AM, Shrikant Patel <SP...@pdxinc.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for clarification. I am seeing strange behavior in that case,
>>
>> When I set min.insync.replicas=2 in my server.properties (restart the server) and set the acks=all on producer, I am still able to publish to topic even when only leader is up (none of followers are alive). With this configuration I was hoping to see NotEnoughReplicasException.
>>
>> When I set min.insync.replicas=2 specifically on my topic and set the acks=all on producer, I get error NotEnoughReplicasException when less than 2 replicas are live.
>>
>> Because of this behavior I thought min.insync.replicas=2 in my server.properties does not work and we needed it at explicit topic level.
>>
>> This looks like bug?? Anyone facing this issue.
>>

> Did you try min.insync.replicas=2 in server.properties and acks=all on producer? min.insync.replicas only applies when acks=all.

Oops, sorry, I didn't read properly. I see that you already tried to do that.

When the broker starts up, it prints out a message to the logs showing all the configuration settings. I often use that to double check that I specified my settings properly in server.properties.

-James

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com>.
It sounds like you’re running into a problem, but we use
min.insync.replicas here and it works. When you describe the topic using
kafka-topics.sh, what does it show you?

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com>.