Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/15 16:49:13 UTC

Closing JIRA Issues

Hi all!
This is a question due to my inexperience: when should JIRA issues be closed?
I have seen that some projects (e.g. a Maven plugin, but I cannot
remember the name) close issues for every public build. What's the
correct policy?

TIA
Antonio

Re: Closing JIRA Issues

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/3/15, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
> On 3/15/07, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > a release is official when it gets three PMC +1s and the release
> > > manager makes it public (user list announcement, links on the download
> > > page, etc).  these are the milestones that mark the progress of the
> > > project, and thus they make convenient times to close issues.
> > >
> > > a release is not official when it is just a test build (only announced
> > > on dev list, or found in some nightly snapshot directory, etc).  these
> > > are just candidates for being milestones and may not pass muster.
> >

> > The distinction is simpler than that. A release, being something voted on by
> > the PMC, is official by definition. A test build is *not* a release.
>
> sure, that keeps the lines even clearer.

I think that we need to add a page for this argument to make it
crystal clear, so I created a JIRA issue:
http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/TILESSHARED-5
Feel free to comment or to take care of it :-)

Antonio

Re: Closing JIRA Issues

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Closing JIRA Issues

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Closing JIRA Issues

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/3/15, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
> > Ok, then when a release is considered "official"? Has it anything to
> > do with its quality (test build, alpha, beta, GA)?
> > Sorry for this question, but I am eager to understand :-)
>
> a release is official when it gets three PMC +1s and the release
> manager makes it public (user list announcement, links on the download
> page, etc).  these are the milestones that mark the progress of the
> project, and thus they make convenient times to close issues.
>
> a release is not official when it is just a test build (only announced
> on dev list, or found in some nightly snapshot directory, etc).  these
> are just candidates for being milestones and may not pass muster.

Thank you Nathan, you've been very clear. I think that soon we can
close Tiles 2.0.1 issues then :-)

Antonio

Re: Closing JIRA Issues

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Closing JIRA Issues

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Closing JIRA Issues

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/07, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if the ASF has a "correct" policy or not.  A common
> practice, which i prefer for most situations, is to leave issues as
> RESOLVED until there is a release that includes that
> fix/feature/whatever.  Once the fix/feature/whatever is in an official
> release, then those issues can be closed.
>
> If no one else objects, this is how i would prefer we did things
> around here.  But i could be convinced otherwise pretty easily too. :)

I like that approach.  I don't know if we do that by definition at Struts or
Shale, but I like the idea.

Greg

Re: Closing JIRA Issues

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.